• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Anyone Going Base Model?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not as much as you would think. Video is what mainly kills your data plan!! My wife discovered The Walking Dead and watched on her iphone on a four hour trip. And that totally demolished the data plan big time!!
Thanks for that tip. I'm upgrading to an iPhone this week and have an unlimited plan for the first month or two because I have no idea what to expect. I strongly suspect I will be cutting to a lower rate plan but would rather find out what I use before making that decision. :-) Z

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
You must have a pretty good data plan to use Pandora across 4G all the time. Doesn't that crush your usage?
Streaming music services typically uses 1MB per minute. If you have a 1hr commute each way that would be 120mb/day or 2.4GB/mo for 20 work days.

Streaming video is the real killer at up to 500mb/hr depending on the quality of the video.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's one thing to add an $800* automatic transmission to a $20,000 or a $15,000 vehicle (or even $12,000 to a Chevy "Speck"), but to add that amount (almost 1/8 or over 11.75%) to a $6,800 vehicle is another.

Right now, however, that is the ONLY option I MUST have...too much stop and go on my I-10 commute for a stick.

Anyone going to do me one better and go completely BASE model?

*per phone call to Elio, that's the maximum they hope to charge for the automatic transmission option

I too MUST have the auto as my arthritic knees will no longer handle a clutch pedal :( (That's 1 of the reasons I LOVE my smart....manual trans with NO clutch pedal :) )

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just normally put it on talk radio and I'm good to go!

Yep, me too. Jamie Allman in the morning on the way to work, and Dave Glover on the way home...sometimes Hannity if I work overtime. Thumb drive in the stereo when I get home so I don't have to listen to 10 minutes of commercials every 5 minutes (seems that way!).

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Streaming music services typically uses 1MB per minute. If you have a 1hr commute each way that would be 120mb/day or 2.4GB/mo for 20 work days.

Streaming video is the real killer at up to 500mb/hr depending on the quality of the video.
Your numbers are a little high for Pandora, it's more like 36/hr

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm really leaning towards black as well. My concern is not heat, but appearing dirty. I live on a dirt road, so dust is a factor. I don't wash my cars regularly, ok..ever. Actually, I take that back. I drove my Solara through one of those chain driven car washes just last night. Thinking the whole time, I wonder how a three wheeled car would do in here?
I live 2 miles down a dirt road. Never again a black car. No satellite navigation, I'm a guy. We don't ask for directions
I just normally put it on talk radio and I'm good to go!

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live 2 miles down a dirt road. Never again a black car. No satellite navigation, I'm a guy. We don't ask for directions
I don't much like navigation that isn't tied into Google. I run it on my way home from work so it can intelligently detour me around traffic. Saved me 15+ minutes this week so far just by switching a road here and there.

Top Bottom