• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Anyone Going Base Model?

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other than the transmission and body color are all of the options are retrofitable. So at some point when you decide they would make your life better (or afford them) you could then add them on. Lots of automotive features that where luxury car items are now everyday ecomobile standard items. When I was a kid the typical family sedan was powered by a straight six and a manual three speed column shift. AC was almost unheard of around here. I was shipping out to Korea in the 70's when my Mom got a Pontiac wagon with automatic AC and power brakes and AM FM radio. The lap of luxury for the time.

Other than the automatic shifting the Elio offers all that and more in standard form. My wife "hasn't" got the time to learn to drive a manual or get a motorcycle endorsement. She feels that if she should operate three pedals she should have three legs. I would pop for the automated transmission if she didn't need an endorsement to drive. Don't know if I see that happening in the next year. The base model works for me.
How we've come to spoil ourselves over the years. Reading these 18 thread pages, I believe the thread should be relabeled, "Can you top this?!" Karl summed it up well - what was our lap of luxury is now viewed as necessary (leather, power seats with memory, sunroof, navigation, bluetooth, cameras, etc.). Heck, the base car comes with AM/FM stereo, antilock brakes, intermittent wipers, power windows, power door lock and stability control!

My Elio - old leg injury demands the automated manual transmission, with some adjustment by me to the increased shift times required by this design. Possibly cruise control for long trips. Maybe a bike rack on the right hand side if it's safe to do on first year models (no factory trailer hitches first year due to additional testing time). The car will stand out plenty as is.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: I just bought a Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit from Amazon.com...... Bottom line is I won't be upgrading the Elio with factory Bluetooth or Nav. I'll supply my own.

Very cool: http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXgX03lFp1cgEAtzJQtTHgg3ljUzUz3sVBmrTzTq-I3daxn6he.jpg

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Automatic and cruise are the only 2 options I want, and some sort of a sound system, but I thought cruise and a sound system were part of the standard equipment?

From what I remember, cruise is an option, though I think that's silly and should be standard. They only cost around two hundred bucks after-market. But their pricing must be pretty tight. As far as sound, it looks like standard is an AM/FM radio.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On this note, I wonder if they will have the extra items as separate items or try to package everything. I hate when I configure a car online and want to add one little thing and end up having to add an entire package costing 1000's. I hope to update to an auto, don't force 15 other items I don't care about, and certainly don't want to pay for.

I'm with you 100% on this one...I absolutely HATE option packages...you're basically forced to purchase other options you don't want/need just to get the ones you want...Please Elio, make the options available INDIVIDUALLY!

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From what I remember, cruise is an option, though I think that's silly and should be standard. They only cost around two hundred bucks after-market. But their pricing must be pretty tight. As far as sound, it looks like standard is an AM/FM radio.

Cruise should be standard, but then again, they are trying to keep the price as close the $6800 as possible...and I can live with AM/FM...I can use my satellite radio with that...

Top Bottom