• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Anyone Going Base Model?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know I have a blind spot when using my side mirrors so I glance over before passing or making a lane change. I would do that irregardless of how my side mirrors are adjusted. I also use my side mirrors for backing so they have to be adjusted accordingly. The Elio will definitely have some learning curve with no rearview mirror, but we will adapt.

Drivers that don't look over their shoulder before making a lane change are not going to be looking in their mirrors either.......to busy talking or texting. IMO

MyElio1678

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vance,Al 35490 (born and raised in California)
With no power steering it would be easier to drive with an automatic, plus I just sold a manual shift because of my Fibromyalgia. So guess I'll have to come up with the cost for the Automatic but, hey I already paid the $1000.00 off a long time ago. We'll see? I'll be checking the Elio out in person Oct 24th in Birmingham Al area. I'll decide then. Can't wait to finally see my car in person:):D:)

Terry Miller

Reaction score
It's one thing to add an $800* automatic transmission to a $20,000 or a $15,000 vehicle (or even $12,000 to a Chevy "Speck"), but to add that amount (almost 1/8 or over 11.75%) to a $6,800 vehicle is another.

Right now, however, that is the ONLY option I MUST have...too much stop and go on my I-10 commute for a stick.

Anyone going to do me one better and go completely BASE model?

*per phone call to Elio, that's the maximum they hope to charge for the automatic transmission option
I thought the auto and stick were standerdopt

kensidecar

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Using it for an every day ride and trips; automatic + cruise control; maybe rear camera; see exactly how the rear vision is after I sit in it when they come
to either Charlotte or Raleigh(pref.), NC.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Terry Miller. You have a very beautiful avatar! The original plan was for the manual and automatic transmissions to be the same cost. Unfortunately, early this year, they had to cancel their original selection for the auto transmission because it did not meet their needs and expectations. I think that decision was made after I joined this site so it will be sometime after March 4. There is an entire thread of discussions concerning the transmission so that will at least give you a starting point. I will try to find it but I have had no luck copying links so if I find it I will have to simply tell you where it is. Of course, if you use the search function you will find even more information because people don't always post in the appropriate thread. The moderators move things if they catch them but they don't always catch them. In the mean time, enjoy the site and this very exciting journey to Elio production and owernship. This is a great group. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This was posted by mummblemouth on the Auto transmission thread on 3/7/14

was just in phoenix and spoke with Mr. elio. he stated there were problems with the AMT they were looking at. now looking at 3 other companies to use. no decision has been made on who to use ect as far as AMT. he said they havent even tested an amt in an elio yet. only the other companies production car

I think this came from page 5 of the thread and was post #46. There will be many more discussions following it. :-) Z

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not according to the SAE recommendations, but those are relying on having a rear view mirror.
If you aim the mirrors so that you can see a person directly behind the vehicle, your blind spots will be huge.

We don't know if the mirrors will be flat or convex. If they're slightly convex they'd cover a wider range of vision. If flat you can always stick on some smaller convex mirrors to cover the blind spots. Much simpler than installing a camera. I think most of us have too much time on our hands and are designing out of ignorance since none of us have ever driven the thing or anything like it. Typically all the goodies you think you'll need you won't. But it's fun to speculate.:)

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This was posted by mummblemouth on the Auto transmission thread on 3/7/14

was just in phoenix and spoke with Mr. elio. he stated there were problems with the AMT they were looking at. now looking at 3 other companies to use. no decision has been made on who to use ect as far as AMT. he said they havent even tested an amt in an elio yet. only the other companies production car

Just confirms my decision for a manual transmission. Hard to screw those up. More fun to drive anyway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
our 2011 Chevy truck has an automatic tranny .... it has a "D" and an "M" setting .... D = automatic .... M = the ability to manually shift gears (within certain parameters) via pushing a "+" or "-" button .... how does this transmission relate to what is being called "peddle shifter" transmission

jim

Top Bottom