• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

J5 Prototype, $4,500.00 On 02/10/10

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The good news it that the P5 should be the first prototype they have ever shown that is truly ready for production as it should have a production level interior and drivetrain.

Also I believe that (15-20) P5's will get the IAV Motor & will be crash tested to secure the 5 Star Rating?? :)[/quote]
As I understand it the crash tests done before sales begin will simply let Elio know whether they have achieved that particular goal. The actual 5 Star Rating tests will be done on cars bought 6 months after sales begin by the NHSA (I'm not sure that is all the necessary letters :-)). I wonder how they will do that since Elio is not planning on having typical show rooms like AAMVA members have. It will be interesting to see how that is handled. :-) Z

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All the ones that said they would not feel safe, never saw or sat in the J5. I don’t think I would want this kind of person watching over my retirement fund.JMO

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The good news it that the P5 should be the first prototype they have ever shown that is truly ready for production as it should have a production level interior and drivetrain.

Also I believe that (15-20) P5's will get the IAV Motor & will be crash tested to secure the 5 Star Rating?? :)[/quote]

It is my understanding that the nhsta will randomly purchase several from dealer floors to ensure they get a "real" version for crash testing purposes. There isn't a way to get a rating prior to production.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Also I believe that (15-20) P5's will get the IAV Motor & will be crash tested to secure the 5 Star Rating?? :)

It is my understanding that the nhsta will randomly purchase several from dealer floors to ensure they get a "real" version for crash testing purposes. There isn't a way to get a rating prior to production.

Elio Motors has said they will have a pre-production run of about 18-26 cars which will be used for testing assembly procedures and road testing to ensure everything works as expected and the fuel economy numbers match their simulations. They have also said that most of these vehicles will ultimately end up being crashed to verify that the car does indeed meet the safety goals.

The NHTSA testing is independent from what Elio Motors does, and indeed is what counts for the safety rating, however EM has to do it first to ensure they have no surprises from the NHTSA testing.

Tomg3rd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm all in... and all for the 5 star crash rating- but has the NHTSA even said they will agree to test this "autocycle"? They test cars. If so another first.

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This document included the reason I like the Elio, which is the same reason I have Ting phone service. I don't want to be forced to pay for what I do not want or will not use. My phone bill for 2 smart phones is 1/2 what ATT was charging me for dumb phones. The gas bill for my Elio will be 1/4 of what it costs me to drive my Sport Trac. I don't need a truck for a daily driver, but snowy days in these mountains will keep it in my garage while I save money driving my Elio on sunny days.

Top Bottom