• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeeps

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Give me a pickup that looks like a pickup, not a chopped down station wagon.
My 1978 F-150 "NASCAR "Limited Edition" ,Only 3000 made, doesn't have power windows. Yes on radio, AC. ,8 ft. bed., 2 doors.
(It might be the prototype model as it has the "Roush" exhaust out the right side before the rear wheel.) and was orignall registered in Texas.
I'm th second owner, bought in 2001. It does what it was designed for.
Willie

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Give me a pickup that looks like a pickup, not a chopped down station wagon.
My 1978 F-150 "NASCAR "Limited Edition" ,Only 3000 made, doesn't have power windows. Yes on radio, AC. ,8 ft. bed., 2 doors.
(It might be the prototype model as it has the "Roush" exhaust out the right side before the rear wheel.) and was orignall registered in Texas.
I'm th second owner, bought in 2001. It does what it was designed for.
Willie

Yep, I bought a "Truck", that does work truck stuff, drives like a work truck, sounds like a work truck, and even smelled like a work truck after I picked up a load of manure last spring :confused:, all with no worries about putting a dent or two in the bed. '96 Ford F-250 Superduty 7.3L diesel with right at 69k miles on it, $9k cash [my preferred method of payment]. I'm going to have to deal with the "standard Ford truck rust" around the rear fenders someday [rustbelt! :mad:], but she runs like a top, and hauls anything I'll ever need to haul. :)

...Back to Jeeps. Someone mentioned that a Cherokee would be preferred over a Wrangler for a teenager, couldn't agree more. Both my kids drove them (my wife's hand-me-downs...She's got a '07 Grand Cherokee Limited now), both were non-Grand Cherokees, tough as nails, daughter still drives her '01 with better than 200k, and I think other than a radiator and a water pump about a year ago that I slapped in it, they've been great, dependable vehicles. HIGHLY recommended!

notellin 080.JPG

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, I bought a "Truck", that does work truck stuff, drives like a work truck, sounds like a work truck, and even smelled like a work truck after I picked up a load of manure last spring :confused:, all with no worries about putting a dent or two in the bed. '96 Ford F-250 Superduty 7.3L diesel with right at 69k miles on it, $9k cash [my preferred method of payment]. I'm going to have to deal with the "standard Ford truck rust" around the rear fenders someday [rustbelt! :mad:], but she runs like a top, and hauls anything I'll ever need to haul. :)

...Back to Jeeps. Someone mentioned that a Cherokee would be preferred over a Wrangler for a teenager, couldn't agree more. Both my kids drove them (my wife's hand-me-downs...She's got a '07 Grand Cherokee Limited now), both were non-Grand Cherokees, tough as nails, daughter still drives her '01 with better than 200k, and I think other than a radiator and a water pump about a year ago that I slapped in it, they've been great, dependable vehicles. HIGHLY recommended!

View attachment 4964
What's that ugly "white stuff" all over that good looking truck?.......:p:D

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CT,
Let me put another spin on your Jeep Question.
We bought one on Ebay about three years ago, 94 Wrangler YJ, 2.5L 4 cyl,
4WD, 5speed. Bought it for 1K. just to have some fun in the mountains.
First thing I did was visit my local tire store and bought some new wheels,
with a different offset, widening the footprint by about 4". Bought all new
mildly over sized Goodyear Wrangler tires, 1 size wider than stock. No lift
at all, you can actually get in without getting a nose bleed.
Then I came home and dove underneath with my trusty saws-all, used it
to cut out both front and rear panhard/track bars, (These were added as
a knee jerk reaction to Ralph Nader's attack on the Suzuki Samuri) they had no real function beyond keeping the brand alive.
The result of all this is, the tooth rattling hard ride is now a fraction of what it was, handling is considerably more neutral and stable, with no hint of the infamous "Death Wobble" at all. The little 4 banger likes these changes and does respectably better in the performance department. Does great in the snow and slick driving conditions.
Learning to accelerate slower and short shift greatly improves fuel economy, we can squeeze out 23-24mpg on most days. Keep in mind these little vehicles were never designed for long interstate highway trips and isn't a happy camper at much more that 55.
All in all, we love the little girl. she's now good with the fact she'll never be a rock climber or mud bog hero, but a cool ride all the same.
Fun to drive, we'll keep her around. ;)

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CT,
Let me put another spin on your Jeep Question.
We bought one on Ebay about three years ago, 94 Wrangler YJ, 2.5L 4 cyl,
4WD, 5speed. Bought it for 1K. just to have some fun in the mountains.
First thing I did was visit my local tire store and bought some new wheels,
with a different offset, widening the footprint by about 4". Bought all new
mildly over sized Goodyear Wrangler tires, 1 size wider than stock. No lift
at all, you can actually get in without getting a nose bleed.
Then I came home and dove underneath with my trusty saws-all, used it
to cut out both front and rear panhard/track bars, (These were added as
a knee jerk reaction to Ralph Nader's attack on the Suzuki Samuri) they had no real function beyond keeping the brand alive.
The result of all this is, the tooth rattling hard ride is now a fraction of what it was, handling is considerably more neutral and stable, with no hint of the infamous "Death Wobble" at all. The little 4 banger likes these changes and does respectably better in the performance department. Does great in the snow and slick driving conditions.
Learning to accelerate slower and short shift greatly improves fuel economy, we can squeeze out 23-24mpg on most days. Keep in mind these little vehicles were never designed for long interstate highway trips and isn't a happy camper at much more that 55.
All in all, we love the little girl. she's now good with the fact she'll never be a rock climber or mud bog hero, but a cool ride all the same.
Fun to drive, we'll keep her around. ;)
That's an awesome testimony. Thanks.

Top Bottom