• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeeps

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Newer Jeeps have been turned into cars, to me they lost their roots. I like the older ones, the ride is like an old pick up. My old jeep had it top off from Easter to the first snow when I lived in New England. When I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area it was off until we got 3 days in a row of rain. The inside was Rhino coated and I put scuppers in the floor to let water out.
While this is certainly true, I had mine in 18" of water in a running creek before it hit 1500 miles, in 2wd with zero effort. They are still capable. :)
[Broken External Image]

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just don't think with the top off it would have been very happy. When I had a Cj 5 I used to drive through a creek the would send water over the half doors. It was a good thing I had holes in the floor to let the water out. My Wrangler never had that much water in it.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just don't think with the top off it would have been very happy. When I had a Cj 5 I used to drive through a creek the would send water over the half doors. It was a good thing I had holes in the floor to let the water out. My Wrangler never had that much water in it.
This is true. I just bought mine for the top/doors off experience, that was the only time I have taken it off-roading. Didn't really care for it.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also had a 73 Spitfire Mk4 which was the funniest car I have had. I still wish I would have kept it but I sold it and gave the money to my brother for college.
It is a blast to drive, especially considering how slow it is. Just a bare-bones driving experience. No power steering, no power brakes, no air conditioning, just an engine, some seats and a body around you. There is one other member on here that has one (goofyone I think) which I never expected.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last year, I was driving home from work when a Jeep, soft top, with Huge wheels, way jacked-up, blew past me, 20-30 miles over the speed limit (45) and running a red light. My first thought was that it was an accident waiting to happen. 5 minutes later, I saw the guy had rolled his vehicle and his brains were splattered all over the road. According to the paper the next day, the vehicle tried to change lanes, lost control and rolled over a couple of times. Neither the driver or the passenger were wearing seatbelts. The driver was killed and the passenger was severely injured. Great vehicle for off-road adventure; bad for high-speed slot-car racing.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last year, I was driving home from work when a Jeep, soft top, with Huge wheels, way jacked-up, blew past me, 20-30 miles over the speed limit (45) and running a red light. My first thought was that it was an accident waiting to happen. 5 minutes later, I saw the guy had rolled his vehicle and his brains were splattered all over the road. According to the paper the next day, the vehicle tried to change lanes, lost control and rolled over a couple of times. Neither the driver or the passenger were wearing seatbelts. The driver was killed and the passenger was severely injured. Great vehicle for off-road adventure; bad for high-speed slot-car racing.
Sounds like the genius would have been a splat mark on the road eventually no matter what vehicle he was piloting.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a similar experience . Wife and I are driving on the Parkway center lane approx. 60 MPH . Lifted wrangler , huge tires passes us in the left lane . Rounding a turn , he begins to speed wobble and lost control . Flipped the Jeep 360 degrees on the grassy shoulder . We immediately pulled over to offer some help .He was shaken but not injured and Jeep was not visibly damaged . Amazing

Top Bottom