• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeeps

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So driving around yesterday with the doors off, got me to thinking about the similarities between a Jeep and the Elio. Basically, they are both a frame with outer panels stuck on. So....
I'm now really thinking removable doors and a soft top would be the way to go in my autocycle. Gives a much closer feel to the motorcycle that it actually is and still maintains the safety of the cage. I have sunroofs and don't use them. I think this vehicle may be different. What say you?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So driving around yesterday with the doors off, got me to thinking about the similarities between a Jeep and the Elio. Basically, they are both a frame with outer panels stuck on. So....
I'm now really thinking removable doors and a soft top would be the way to go in my autocycle. Gives a much closer feel to the motorcycle that it actually is and still maintains the safety of the cage. I have sunroofs and don't use them. I think this vehicle may be different. What say you?

Soft top with a chromed out roll bar would be cool! But I think I'd like to have the door there (false sense of security I suppose). Not sure what you do with the side airbags. Probably just omit them all together. Check out AriLea's creation ('Formula' I think...I'll have to double check). Blue one with a sliding canopy...Too cool! I WANT IT!:cool:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I can honestly say that chopping the top of our Elio .... my first reaction is I'd have no interest in doing so .... if I wanted to ride an open trike, I'd buy a Stallion .... to us having an enclosed, all weather passenger compartment is a major plus .... after my experience with a leaking top on a '65 CJ5 cured me of any desire to own another .... a Jeep hard top with removable doors is a different story

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can honestly say that chopping the top of our Elio .... my first reaction is I'd have no interest in doing so .... if I wanted to ride an open trike, I'd buy a Stallion .... to us having an enclosed, all weather passenger compartment is a major plus .... after my experience with a leaking top on a '65 CJ5 cured me of any desire to own another .... a Jeep hard top with removable doors is a different story
So a removable hard top and doors?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arilea's "Super Year 1" is the one I was thinking of. Couldn't 'save' the pic though...not sure why.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ud5f18b31-6a2d-4544-a1b1-e2ad78a7be2e

...But yeah, Jeeps. Mine ['90 Islander model] had the removable hardtop and steel doors. Took the doors off and drove it in to work. Realized pretty quickly that I now had no sideview mirrors, which sucked in heavy traffic. :eek: Left the doors on after that.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Arilea's "Super Year 1" is the one I was thinking of. Couldn't 'save' the pic though...not sure why.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ud5f18b31-6a2d-4544-a1b1-e2ad78a7be2e

...But yeah, Jeeps. Mine ['90 Islander model] had the removable hardtop and steel doors. Took the doors off and drove it in to work. Realized pretty quickly that I now had no sideview mirrors, which sucked in heavy traffic. :eek: Left the doors on after that.

all too well understood .... my '65 came with no top, no heater, no doors, no seat belts .... the top/doors/heater were dealer installed options .... I installed seat belts

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
GET HIM A FORWARD CONTROL MODEL .

BIG WHEELS ✓
TWO DOORS ✓
LIFTED A BIT ✓
4 WHEEL DRIVE ✓
TOTALLY COOL RETRO LOOK ✓✓

Jeep-Forward-Control.jpg

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So recommendations regarding web sites / books for maintenance and parts and diagrams, that sort of thing?
I too have the issue with no mirrors with the doors off, so we need:
  • mirrors that I can use with the doors off, either removable or permanent.
  • A front license plate mount
  • wider fender flares (it's currently illegal)
  • Baja light covers
  • floor drain plugs
  • new door locks (can I set the existing ones to the current ignition key, or will I need to buy new locks and set the tumblers?)
Tell me again why I bought this? Just kidding, I'm having a blast!
Funny how there's NO WAY that this vehicle would pass inspection, yet it passed in March. I figure that I need to go back to the same place that passed it next year, though I doubt that they will be as generous to an individual as they are to their buddies at the dealership...

Top Bottom