• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just For The Cat Lovers Here

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got to play with a tiger cub many years ago. Even though the animal was still very small the power and strength it possessed at that time was amazing. Left a lasting impression with me on the strength, power, speed and agility of wild cats. Not the type of animal to mess with.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got to play with a tiger cub many years ago. Even though the animal was still very small the power and strength it possessed at that time was amazing. Left a lasting impression with me on the strength, power, speed and agility of wild cats. Not the type of animal to mess with.
I had a similar experience with IV. She was just about the size of a large house cat (15 lbs.) and we gave her a brand new collegiate football from the athletic department. It took her 4 seconds to pop the bladder. That is not easy.

She earned respect from me immediately for an animal that looks like it could be fun to "play" with.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In college a friend and his g/f had an ocelot. About the size of a large housecat, it was the "stretch" version with a wheelbase about four inches longer than the average cat. Tall and rangy, it would stare at you from it's perch atop the sofa as though you were some kind of prey. While behaving as a slightly aloof housecat, it had no trust in strangers.

About the same time I was working as a producer for a local daily kid's TV show. At least once a week we'd have "guests" from local zoos, pet shops, and owners of exotic pets. The San Antonio Zoo had a Steve Irwin-type who'd bring in "zoo babies" from their collection. The adult animals including monkeys, snakes, llamas, burros, and even a macaw were always cute and unpredictable, he was personable, and the kids loved his appearances on the show. Then he brought in a lion cub. The little animal was only a few weeks old, having been rescued from an illegal personal zoo that was unable to handle wild animals at all. The keeper and his family were keeping the cub in their home, hand raising it until its new home at the zoo could be completed. The little guy wanted to cuddle in your arms, but right away you noticed he had a head about the size of the rest of its body and could snarl with the same authority of it's big brothers. He was cute and wanted to play with everyone. Then you noticed the paws that were almost as big as his head. Ruh-roh.

Well, about eight months later the guy brings the lion back, now almost a year old and boy, had he changed. He was a gorgeous, sleek, well muscled creature, still living with the family, but he now had his own space in their garage. It seems that construction had been delayed on his new habitat at the zoo, and he was overstaying his welcome at home where the two kids he grew up playing with were starting to look pretty tasty to him. Thankfully, he wasn't fully aware of his power, although he could have killed and eaten anyone in the TV studio in a flash. His handler had to punch him in the head anytime he misbehaved - and you could tell it was like spanking your own kids for him - it probably hurt the keeper more than it did the young lion. He explained it was necessary - the animal was going to his beautiful new quarters in a few days, but for the last few days humans had to assert their dominance forcefully as he began to test them. That's they way the their society works, the strongest go unchallenged so long as they continue earn their dominant place in the social structure. The minute that yearling got the idea he could win, everyone was in danger.

Sadly, it had to be that way, because the lion would eventually be reunited with others in the zoo's new "open" exhibit and he would have to fend for himself among an established pride. To "domesticate" him would probably be the end of him as the rest of the pride would set upon what they viewed as a weaker animal. For his own safety, he had to be treated as a wild animal. In the last days before he was returned to the zoo and other lions he'd never known, his human "family" was kept out of sight, partly for his own safety as well as that of the wife and kids - to whom he was becoming a threat. Thankfully, he was released into his new "home" and was socialized with the other lions very quickly. The little cub who had been rescued from a sad situation finally found a home among his own.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a small encounter with a very young cougar at the Puyallup fair in Washington, 30years ago. They had caged it for public view. It was a rather large cage for the little one, with lots of semi-hidden spots, but still you could tell it was not fun for the cat. I felt so sorry for the little guy/girl.
At about 30ft, squatting down, I got an eye on him, and he blinked at me. So I did the same. Oh he/she was Sooo cute! And lovely.

But then this man came up, squatted for a look at about 25ft, and the difference in mood in the area, I could feel it. Along with his body language (very subtle indications) you could tell this man's hate and desire to shoot the cat. You never know the sixth sense ability you have for ambient energy until you feel such a difference in a space.

Anyway, with-in a few seconds the cat squared off his sight at the man, and , as best I can describe it, let out a short-loud high-high pitched yalp or maybe a 'ping' like porpoises do. The cat didn't even shift body position.

It totally unnerved the guy, he switched completely to being unsettled, maybe even fearful, and vacated. Was it possibly louder for the man? And again yes, could be me, but the ambient mood again, more suddenly, shifted. I think the little guy 'won' and dominated his space. Impressive!

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a small encounter with a very young cougar at the Puyallup fair in Washington, 30years ago. They had caged it for public view. It was a rather large cage for the little one, with lots of semi-hidden spots, but still you could tell it was not fun for the cat. I felt so sorry for the little guy/girl.
At about 30ft, squatting down, I got an eye on him, and he blinked at me. So I did the same. Oh he/she was Sooo cute! And lovely.

But then this man came up, squatted for a look at about 25ft, and the difference in mood in the area, I could feel it. Along with his body language (very subtle indications) you could tell this man's hate and desire to shoot the cat. You never know the sixth sense ability you have for ambient energy until you feel such a difference in a space.

Anyway, with-in a few seconds the cat squared off his sight at the man, and , as best I can describe it, let out a short-loud high-high pitched yalp or maybe a 'ping' like porpoises do. The cat didn't even shift body position.

It totally unnerved the guy, he switched completely to being unsettled, maybe even fearful, and vacated. Was it possibly louder for the man? And again yes, could be me, but the ambient mood again, more suddenly, shifted. I think the little guy 'won' and dominated his space. Impressive!
Both the prior post and this one are accurate descriptions of working with a wild animal.

But I personally believe you can't domesticate a wild animal at all no matter how hard you try. I believe this is the problem with some wilder breeds of dogs. The wild nature is only suppressed for a little while, waiting for the true nature to emerge.

Don't be too hard on the man. He has worked with and seen both natures. The cute cuddly and the wild beast. It's definitely different from inside the enclosure.

Last edited:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both the prior post and this one are accurate descriptions of working with a wild animal.

But I personally believe you can't domesticate a wild animal at all no matter how hard you try. I believe this is the problem with some wilder breeds of dogs. The wild nature is only suppressed for a little while, waiting for the true nature to emerge.

Don't be too hard on the man. He has worked with and seen both natures. The cute cuddly and the wild beast. It's definitely different from inside the enclosure.

It's a little sad that we've "Disneyfied" so many of our wildlife. They may look cute and cuddly, but they aren't. They aren't evil, just being what they were created to be. Sometimes that conflicts with OUR well-being, but doesn't reflect on their "personality".

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
HELP any suggestions, aside from knocking them out to trim claws- watched UTube and they didn't show a cat more "uncomfortable" having it done.
not hooked up with a vet yet, so gonna try it myself- expecting my scissors specific for this "operation"
thanks
First of all, get nail clippers designed for cats. Any large store like Target or Kmart should have a selection. Make sure the clippers are sized for your cat. I don't have any guidelines; I just know trimming my smaller cat's nails was easier when I got a smaller set of clippers for her, and I couldn't use these clippers on the larger cat.

Second, get a large, very thick bath towel. You're going to use it to wrap up your cat. I had a vet tell me once to use a pillowcase, but I couldn't access her rear paws with that technique. Also, make sure you're wearing a long-sleeved shirt that you won't mind much if it gets ripped. This should help protect your chest and arms from stray claw swipes.

Third, cross yourself and get to work. This part "If t'were to be done, t'were best done quickly" (Macbeth, Act I scene vii; Macbeth is getting ready to murder Duncan. Just sayin'...). I usually have best luck laying the center of the towel over the back of the cat so you have the same amount on each side to wrap the cat, then scooping up the cat with one hand (covered by a towel) around the cat's chest while simultaneously using your other hand to wrap the other end of the towel around the cat. You want the cat swaddled by the towel with only the head free.

Fourth, get one paw out from the towel while keeping the rest of the limbs safely wrapped. Gently press on the cat's paw pads to extend the claw. Trim the claw without cutting into the quick (the dark part visible in the core of the claw), then move onto the next claw. Work quickly but calmly, talking to your cat in a calm voice. I usually rub my cat's nose bridge to calm her, scritch behind her ears, or stroke her cheeks, telling her how brave she is.

Fifth, move the completed paw under the towel, take time to stroke the cat's cheeks while praising her, then move on to the next paw. Continue until all paws have been trimmed. When doing the front paws, don't forget the "thumb", which is located behind the other claws.

If your cat is the kind that likes kitty treats, keep some on hand, but don't give during the trim. Save it for when you're finished, so you can reward your cat with treats, pettings, and praise. Note that if your cat struggles so much that you have to let it go after doing only one paw, (or even one claw,) do the pettings/reward/praise thing anyway. You can always wait half an hour or so and try again with a different paw, and you want to get your cat to associate this clipping thing with rewards.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In college a friend and his g/f had an ocelot. About the size of a large housecat, it was the "stretch" version with a wheelbase about four inches longer than the average cat. Tall and rangy, it would stare at you from it's perch atop the sofa as though you were some kind of prey. While behaving as a slightly aloof housecat, it had no trust in strangers.
Good Lord! I thought you were talking about the housecat breed!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First of all, get nail clippers designed for cats. Any large store like Target or Kmart should have a selection. Make sure the clippers are sized for your cat. I don't have any guidelines; I just know trimming my smaller cat's nails was easier when I got a smaller set of clippers for her, and I couldn't use these clippers on the larger cat.

Second, get a large, very thick bath towel. You're going to use it to wrap up your cat. I had a vet tell me once to use a pillowcase, but I couldn't access her rear paws with that technique. Also, make sure you're wearing a long-sleeved shirt that you won't mind much if it gets ripped. This should help protect your chest and arms from stray claw swipes.

Third, cross yourself and get to work. This part "If t'were to be done, t'were best done quickly" (Macbeth, Act I scene vii; Macbeth is getting ready to murder Duncan. Just sayin'...). I usually have best luck laying the center of the towel over the back of the cat so you have the same amount on each side to wrap the cat, then scooping up the cat with one hand (covered by a towel) around the cat's chest while simultaneously using your other hand to wrap the other end of the towel around the cat. You want the cat swaddled by the towel with only the head free.

Fourth, get one paw out from the towel while keeping the rest of the limbs safely wrapped. Gently press on the cat's paw pads to extend the claw. Trim the claw without cutting into the quick (the dark part visible in the core of the claw, then move onto the next claw. Work quickly but calmly, talking to your cat in a calm voice. I usually rub my cat's nose bridge to calm her, scritch behind her ears, or stroke her cheeks, telling her how brave she is.

Fifth, move the completed paw under the towel, take time to stroke the cat's cheeks while praising her, then move on to the next paw. Continue until all paws have been trimmed. When doing the front paws, don't forget the "thumb", which is located behind the other claws.

If your cat is the kind that likes kitty treats, keep some on hand, but don't give during the trim. Save it for when you're finished, so you can reward your cat with treats, pettings, and praise. Note that if your cat struggles so much that you have to let it go after doing only one paw, (or even one claw,) do the pettings/reward/praise thing anyway. You can always wait half an hour or so and try again with a different paw, and you want to get your cat to associate this clipping thing with rewards.

Hope this helps.
Vinnie and Helen, appreciate the instructions for the guy they let share the house!!
Do the back ones too? I thought they wouldn't do the furniture with the rear(s)

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Vinnie and Helen, appreciate the instructions for the guy they let share the house!!
Do the back ones too? I thought they wouldn't do the furniture with the rear(s)
Yes, do both front AND back. Let's just say I know it's time to do my cat's nails when I hear the sound of velcro when they walk across the carpet.

Top Bottom