• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Talked To Neal At Daytona Beach

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are little paddles that are within finger reach when your hand is on the steering wheel. The implementations I saw at the show had the + paddle on the right and the - paddle on the left presumably + to go up a gear and - to go down a gear.

I may have misspoken when I said column. They actually are part of the steering wheel assembly and rotate with the wheel.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And just like so many of the old geezers on this board (tongue in cheek fellas), most of the automotive experts hated the concept. For years they were boo-ed. Now they are great. Supposedly. I haven't even seen one yet.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:cool:Elio hits Daytona Bike Week
https://www.facebook.com/ElioMotors...8003779747/694116160653259/?type=1&permPage=1
I went to the Minneapolis Auto Show this weekend and was incredibly surprised at how many cars had paddle shifters on them. I think most new transmissions are electronically shifted instead of hydraulic and that makes it easy for manufacturers to put paddles on the steering column to entice customers.

I haven't driven a paddle myself but I think it would be a natural thing in the elio.

Drove a Honda Accord Sport (2014) yesterday w/paddles, & I think their handy (NPI). Never having to take your hands off the wheel
is definitely cool I can see why F1 guys really went for them when they first came out. Also insurance companies should recognize the safety aspects of paddles & offer discounts for having them................vis rear view cameras..............

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the looks of this rendering, you can take out the cluster, cover with a plate, and cut it out for your own custom cluster.

Last edited by a moderator:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is amazing. Boy am I dating myself. LOL I also read part of Wikipedia until the detail got beyond me. But if it is more expensive why would it be used in a $6800 car? I need automatic but not one so expensive I can't afford the car. :-( Z

Thank you, all of you for the enlightenment. You're a great group!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
That is amazing. Boy am I dating myself. LOL I also read part of Wikipedia until the detail got beyond me. But if it is more expensive why would it be used in a $6800 car? I need automatic but not one so expensive I can't afford the car. :-( Z

Thank you, all of you for the enlightenment. You're a great group!

The paddles are actually very easy to implement with the type of automatic transmission they plan on using. They have stated they plan on using an automatic manual transmission or AMT which is just a manual transmission with a computer and electromechanical actuators to control the clutch and shift gears. The transmission controller can easily be programmed with a manual mode in which shifting is done via the steering wheel paddles.

If they offer this type of setup for a reasonable price and the AMT is a good one then I may just end up outfitting my Elio with this option as it is pretty much the best of both worlds. I will be watching to see what develops.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The paddles are actually very easy to implement with the type of automatic transmission they plan on using. They have stated they plan on using an automatic manual transmission or AMT which is just a manual transmission with a computer and electromechanical actuators to control the clutch and shift gears. The transmission controller can easily be programmed with a manual mode in which shifting is done via the steering wheel paddles.

If they offer this type of setup for a reasonable price and the AMT is a good one then I may just end up outfitting my Elio with this option as it is pretty much the best of both worlds. I will be watching to see what develops.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you. Please keep me in mind if you hear something. I'm flexible to a point but shifting gears is not something I need to do on a regular basis. Fortunately I don't go places daily where it is an issue but when I go to Portland, Eugene, Medford, etc. I probably would not be able to walk by the time I got back home. My knees do not appreciate that kind of exercise even though I take them swimming 3 times a week. :-) Z

Top Bottom