• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Wow!!!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They say

I hope your bet is wrong! No Elio for me if it has a Ford power train!
LOL.It's American and Ford has never used YOUR tax money to bail out a failing company. Would an Elio Engine be better? Did you balk at the foreign transmission? Just what manufacturer's powertrain is acceptable to your standards?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd say it would stay the same. They are saving $120M and they don't have to build the motor themselves. That is already done and the new Elio motor will have already been amortized by the OEM. So, Elio will save at least $500/car and that would definitely help the bottom line and speed up when they become cash positive. Within 2 years, Elio will become the most profitable car company in the US if the numbers work out as Elio has stated.
Paul said they were setting $1,000 profit per vehicle. That's 14%. I'm not sure that would make them the most profitable.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd wager that'll be the 1.0 litre Ecoboost.
I googled that and came up with a article that made very interesting reading. Even though it appeared on a jalopnik site it was very positive about the engine and reading between and on the lines it seems like it is ideal for the Elio. Ford must have excess production capacity and a stock of parts so building this engine for Elio would be a win-win for both of them. I am not a Ford lover and will not be buying a Ford. I got my money down on an Elio! I don't care who made the parts. Since we seem to be on the fast track towards production I wonder how many people who have money down on the Elio would pay the balance to help get things going even faster. There are 65k of us and I, for one, would cheerfully send Paul a check for whatever I still owe on a bright red Elio!

Hightech

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Surely the 120mil figure was including the manufacturing machines, setup, labor, etc, aligning gaskets, flame spray, etc.

Such as building a house you'd need to buy/rent all the equipment, parts, labor, permits, scrap, redos over the 6 months it takes to build, then in the months it becomes a profit machine, can rent out for $1,500/month and profit forever.

Now they are just basically sub-lease, $0 upfront, pay first months rent for $1,400; then 2 days later release to someone else for $1,500, step and repeat daily. No huge upfront cost. 120mil saved

webartist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Nope. That was only the projected price for years. When it came to the actual lock-in, it was $7k.
https://www.eliomotors.com/important-price-lock-in-information/
Thanks for re-earthing the link to the offer. I have the $7K price and did the binding agreement and got a conformation email.

So back to my original question, I have a $7K base price, excluding my $500 bonus, therefore Elio can make all the modifications they want like a different drivetrain or whatever, but they will have to honor the binding contract . .right?

Top Bottom