• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Key?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Might be cool, but in today's age of hacking everything related to tech....wouldn't it leave you more open to the theft of your car?
Technology is changing at lightning speed, and devices become incompatible with the current stuff pretty quickly. Would you want your Elio to be locked forever because Android has become outmoded and you can't get an Android phone for love nor money? In just 4 years?

Macadamean

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of some kind of Android App. I carry my phone with me all the time so it would be cool to have it Bluetooth enabled so when I get close to the car, it unlocks. Then maybe just a push button start when the correct Bluetooth phone is in range. I haven't thought through this much, so I'm sure I'll get blasted by more logical and smarter people than me, but I just thought something like this would be pretty cool!
Being an Android App developer by trade (and having experimented on proximity based bluetooth 4.0 solutions) I don't think this would work without a custom solution that has a little more integrity. If your phone went dead, you wouldn't be able to start your car.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question about the ignition key. I have had poor experiences with the dreaded "computer chip" key that dealers require for their cars that force you to buy one at the dealership in excess of $50 per key. I know it's a "security feature", but I think it's also a money making gimic!! I hope the Elio has a normal key that you can get a copy made anywhere you please without it costing a fortune. I appreciate any thoughts on this subject. :)

The simple answer is that there is a near certainty that the Elio will use an ordinary key as this is the least expensive solution and it does its job well.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not worried about vehicle theft with the Elio. With the low MSRP, cheap replacement parts available, etc and a lack of storage space for valuable items I don't think it'll be a target.

That said, I would worry about two things. My car's been egged four times in 5 years just for being a V6 coupe in V8 Iron country (Murica!), I also am in Detroit and people I knew when I worked in Detroit were victims of car-jackings, a friend of a friend was killed for his Escalade at a gas station in the ghetto. To solve this Problem I employ a 2 fold defense, manual transmission and a gun on my hip, give him your car, if he can take it he takes it but if he dosen't know what to do with the third pedal you have a weapon to defend yourself when he jumps out.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, it's for defending yourself. I'd rather let the guy take the car than kill him, but if he attacks me because he can't drive my car he's a dead man.

Plus, it's on my hip, not in my hands, I'm assuming he already has his gun pointed at me, but when he get's in the car and back out he doesn't have the time to aim as I've already drawn and am aiming.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, if he attacks me after realizing he can't drive stick I'd shoot him, if he just runs off I get back into the car and head to a police station. In Detroit they target you at stop lights or in a gas station, they know how to catch you unaware, and generally prefer female targets to male but aren't that picky. In each case they target someone who isn't aware of their surroundings, say somebody changing radio stations at a stop light, tap on the glass with their hi-points and tell you to get out of the car, there is no time to draw your gun if you manage to remember about it.

In case of car jacking in Michigan there is the possibility of up to life in prison, if they can't get away with the car they might as well kill you to have a better chance of getting away clean since the sentence can be the same.

Reactions: HHH

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those of you that are looking for a reason to opt for the Automatic Transmission there it is..........offsets the cost of a gun........and may save a life. I'm guessing a car thief or carjacker isn't interested in high mpg......but rather speed and/or luxury for a fast and comfortable getaway. I could be wrong.

Top Bottom