• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Key?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From a security standpoint, simple is good.
This is likely not going to be a highly targeted vehicle as far as thefts go unless there is a easily exploited security flaw.
Given the timeframe they're working with, I wouldn't do anything new or 'fancy'.

If people want to steal things, they'll probably break a window.
If they don't do that, it'll be a slim jim or wedge.
People don't pick locks - 99% of the time.
As a lockpicking enthusiast, it's just not fast enough and requires too much finesse.
I'd be more concerned about first run door trim or fit not being secured in such a way that it makes it easy to wedge open or something of that sort.

If we're talking about theft, this car is not going to be worth the time unless it's unusually easy to steal. Again, some simple overlooked flaw in an new undertested system.

Keep it simple and there shouldn't be any problems in my mind.

Edit: Another thing to keep in mind is safety. I want the door lock mechansim to be as simple as possible (while being secure) because there is only 1 door. If you get in an accident from ANY direction, the vehicle may crumple in such a way that the door gets pinched in its frame. If that happens, you can't just go out a different door, you're headed for a window (which are powered, and may not still be functional). I don't want an over engineered locking mechanism to potentially further complicate the issue of escaping after an accident.
The chip in the key is to disable the ignition so the car can't be driven off once the thief is inside. I think that's what the original poster was talking about.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The simple answer is that there is a near certainty that the Elio will use an ordinary key as this is the least expensive solution and it does its job well.

agree .... as I understand it, from the original though process, the Elio has been designed with 3 major goals in mind .... low cost, safe, high MPG .... of course they can add an endless number of options but doing so increase cost .... each time an option is added, the assembly line must be modified, parts must be stocked or scheduled, workers have to be trained .... we have to realize that the stated $6,800 price must include profit for the company .... no profit, no company .... while its fun to what if and create wish list, my hunch is those who wish additional bells and whistles need to play on doing them after the Elio is purchased

Jim

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
wouldn't worry too much about door/ignition locks- @1200 lbs and a few guys, and away it goes!
even great (read expensive) wheel locks didn't keep my R100RS from leaving without me!!

Elio APB's: Alert: All units, four men seen loading three wheel autocycle onto a flat bed in the
high cliff subdivision, not a service call............

Alert: All units, stolen bright orange auto cycle seen heading south in the HOV lane.
follow with caution & apprehend when he stops for fuel......that may take a while........

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Years ago there was a kind of chain like security device for motorcycles called Cobralinks. Hardened steel, ball & socket, unbreakable, uncutable, indestructible. I once knew a guy who had one stolen from his bike. They left the Harley but stole the Cobralinks. Just to show that they could if they wanted to.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
wouldn't worry too much about door/ignition locks- @1200 lbs and a few guys, and away it goes!
even great (read expensive) wheel locks didn't keep my R100RS from leaving without me!!
Wheel locks brings up something I don't recall seeing on here. It looks like the Elio with P4 fenders couldn't be booted by traffic control if parked illegally. This is really grasping for straws for something new to talk about concerning all things Elio.LOL:rolleyes:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
to keep things simple, a hidden shutoff valve in the fuel line is a cheap way to keep someone from driving off and getting very far .... I'd rather pick the location and install one myself than pay much more for a key with a chip

Jim

Top Bottom