• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Keyfree System

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks cool but as cars age all the electronic wizardry tends to fail. All my vehicles are 2008 models and more than half of all the gadgets don't work.
I think your experience is unusual. I have two 2005's - a Mazda and a Honda - and a 2009 Dodge truck. All of the gadgets work fine. I'm "the car guy" amongst my friends and acquaintances, and I don't recall hearing about any electronics failures on late-model vehicles. Maybe something about where you live, how they are maintained, or the brand of vehicle? It does get a might bit warm in San Antone...

I haven't had to fix any electronics on the 21st century vehicles yet, but my rule is when something breaks, fix it. Otherwise problems start compounding. "A stitch in time saves nine" and all that.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think your experience is unusual. I have two 2005's - a Mazda and a Honda - and a 2009 Dodge truck. All of the gadgets work fine. I'm "the car guy" amongst my friends and acquaintances, and I don't recall hearing about any electronics failures on late-model vehicles. Maybe something about where you live, how they are maintained, or the brand of vehicle? It does get a might bit warm in San Antone...

I haven't had to fix any electronics on the 21st century vehicles yet, but my rule is when something breaks, fix it. Otherwise problems start compounding. "A stitch in time saves nine" and all that.
Good advice; it does bother me when I see someone with a computer that's acting up and refuses to get it fixed.
They would rather sit and bitch about it.
Or they keep thinking "it will get better on it's own".

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I dug down a little deeper on KeyFree; seems they officially started around 2013.
KeyFree Tech.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...technologies-car-keys-on-smartphone/21412853/
Main idea
KeyFree works off a small box installed in your car that connects with OnBoard Diagnostics II systems prevalent in vehicles from 1996 onward. Using Bluetooth, the box relays the car's vital information to a KeyFree app, which in turn can perform features ranging from unlocking the car as the user approaches to sharing the car's keys - and tracking the car's movements - with as many people as the user requests.

So it's starting to sound a little like the Skyzmatic System (it works on some of the same principals) but 1/10 the price <$200.00> and does have a monthly service charge of $9.95. Sorry, but I don't feel like paying $120.00 a year to have a car key.

And while I was looking at KeyFree stuff; I saw this off to the side:
A Truly Wireless Backup Cameras System (yes, cameras, it has 2)
Price is way out there, but it's solar powered, Bluetooth and uses your phone as the monitor.

https://pearlauto.com/

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$500 for a backup camera? Holy smoke. :eek: I would like to know what they are smoking and where I can get some because it's clearly really good stuff... ;) Anybody who can afford that much for a trinket already has a luxury vehicle with cameras built-in.

The only use I have for a backup camera is hitching a trailer. Makes it way simpler to get the ball under the hitch first time, every time. Otherwise, I use my eyes, brain, mirrors, and due caution to back up.

Amazes me how many people back up at warp speed in crowded parking lots. Those idiots don't need backup cameras, they need brains and driving lessons! :mad:

Top Bottom