• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

La Auto Show 2015

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What are the 2 switches for?
upload_2015-11-26_4-2-48.png

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the 2 switches for?
View attachment 7635
I was told that those are kill switches for the fuel pump and ignition. Just things you find in a prototype engineering vehicle such along with other items such as the fuel gauge in the engine compartment.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the more pictures I see, the more I'm convinced that Technosports is a terrible choice for a prototype builder. Even after 5 1/2 months, the P5 looks like a rush job when you start looking up close. The exhaust, pedal location, right armrest design, parking brake lever location, non-functional & illegible dash, no ABS, no traction control, no windshield washer, no locking hood, and who knows what else. I was hoping for something clever as far as the sunshade, but that has not been addressed.

Hopefully they will have it ready for prime time by January.

The 'issues' you listed are not the fault of Technosports. This is an engineering development prototype built to Elio Motors specifications with parts provided by EM's suppliers.

The items you listed are either your personal opinions on design choices, engineering/design choices EM has made which are still subject to change during the vehicle development program, and/or parts which must be provided to Technosports in a timely manner in order for them to be included in a build.

Technosports MUST build the vehicles to EM's specs so the engineers and designers can see why things work or do not work and then make corrective changes. If Technosports did not do things this way then they in fact would be a terrible choice. The reality is that this build demonstrates just what a great choice Technosports is for EM as their ability to build the vehicle to spec is what makes the P5 a good engineering test bed.

A great example of the P5 already working as an engineering tool is the exhaust. The only way for EM's engineers to truly understand the exhaust routing and heat issues, which caused EM to select the side exhaust over the rear exhaust, was by outfitting the vehicle with the rear exhaust and confirming that this would be an issue.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I must say Goofy, you did a hell of a fine job with the photos! I'll be pouring over them for some time in fact!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I'm very impressed with the P5! Clean lines, smooth work and a lot of unique applications there! The rims look just like the ones on y Neon! (hmm). ABS and traction control are easily installed once the P5 shows it works well without them. IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Washer fluid bottle get mounted forward of the engine compartment. The hood pins are fine, though I admit I'll probably go the locking hood pin route on mine.

Glad I was able to get out there and take plenty of photos to share with everyone.

Good call on the washer fluid as I was told it would be mounted just as you have said.[emoji1]

The EM tour reps have told me that locking hood pins and possibly even an interior release mechanism would be available as options. Either way there will be a way to have a loving hood.

For those wondering the electronic driver aides, ABS/Traction Control/Stability Control, will be added in time however it is not simply a matter of installing the hardware as these need to be tuned for this specific vehicle. This will happen during the E-series development program.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some people have wayyyyy too much time on their hands ... still, there's no explanation -- I tried the link and it didn't work. So how did these metronomes "learn" to synchronize? Once they do, the table they're standing on really picks up harmonic vibration and rocks along with Mitch ...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Hector!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

But a couple of those pictures bring up some questions.
Dual exhaust?
Where is the right side armrest??? (I'm a little torqued about that one, EM promised it would have one.)
And a couple of others.

Looks like the clutch pedal hits the foot rest, but that could be just a camera angle thing.

As I explained elsewhere the dual exhaust is evidence of EM engineering actively working on the vehicle. The rear exhaust had heating and routing complexity issues which would add cost vs the simpler side exhaust option.

A right side arm rest is indeed in the plan however is not yet included at this time. At this point there actually has not been as many changes to the interior vs the P4 as we expected. What I was told was that if EM was unsure about the details of changes and/or had multiple options they built the P5 at a base level and will then refine it throughout the E-series to get it just right. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

The clutch pedal is not a real issue just the camera angle. There are some other photos where you can see this better.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm assuming they didn't fire up the engine at the event being inside and all. But I'd love to hear what she sounds like running.

Me too! They did have a video playing showing the P5 driving from the trailer into the convention center under its own power however once there the Fire Marshall would not be happy with them if they fired it up. Unfortunately the video did not have audio as I asked and was told that there was too much background noise outside and too much echoing inside for them to get clear audio. Hopefully soon EM will make a nice video showing the P5 running around which also allows us to hear the engine running.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would LOVE it if that cute little machine fired up and sounded like a Harley!

Better yet, have a switch inside, so when you're sitting at the stoplight and the guy next to you challenges you to a race, you click on the "afterburner" after you accept and the hidden speakers start broadcasting this ENORMOUS prowling purr; then turn and give the guy a wink just before the light turns green.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I explained elsewhere the dual exhaust is evidence of EM engineering actively working on the vehicle. The rear exhaust had heating and routing complexity issues which would add cost vs the simpler side exhaust option.

A right side arm rest is indeed in the plan however is not yet included at this time. At this point there actually has not been as many changes to the interior vs the P4 as we expected. What I was told was that if EM was unsure about the details of changes and/or had multiple options they built the P5 at a base level and will then refine it throughout the E-series to get it just right. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

The clutch pedal is not a real issue just the camera angle. There are some other photos where you can see this better.
Andwhat about the absence of shielding between pedals and engine compartment, and the nakedly exposed steering column? In conservative states, that's indecent exposure! Esp. with no belly pan, that's a horrible way to invite noise, water, and bugs to share your drive with you.

Top Bottom