• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Latest Google Search News Artical

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It means that the clown that wrote that piece did not read the PR Newswire piece.
(PR News wire is short for Press Release News wire)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...om-iav-transmission-from-aisin-300095428.html
That's one way "controversy" gets started.
Even when EM does provide the media with accurate information, some bone-heads can't even repeat it correctly.
If I really believed that EM had decided that the production Elios will be available with only the AMT...
I'd be about to get REALLY pissed here.

Last edited:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't have a reference link, but I could have sworn that somewhere along the line...
EM stated that the best gas mileage will be achieved by the (more expensive) AMT tranny.
In most vehicles that offer both transmissions, the AMTs gets the better mileage.
Yes Elio Motors has said that in their blog. And it is what they mean will be in the P5, though I suppose worded a bit cryptically. :rolleyes:

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AMTs use a lower shift point to gain milage. Usually the 1700 to 2200 rpm range. Not too bad on level ground, but leaves you wanting on any sort of uphill slope.
Manual trannys can achieve the same milage, "if" a person short shifts. In all honesty though, most People prefer to hear the motor reving a bit before shifting to a higher gear.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes Elio Motors has said that in their blog. And it is what they mean will be in the P5, though I suppose worded a bit cryptically. :rolleyes:

The basic problem in our country is that people who don't know what they are talking about write stories about things that they don't really understand and are followed closely by people who neither understand nor read the entire story.
This followed by the people who don't look into background information when finally realize they don't understand.
The press release from PR Newswire is a good example.:rolleyes::)

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The basic problem in our country is that people who don't know what they are talking about write stories about things that they don't really understand and are followed closely by people who neither understand nor read the entire story.
This followed by the people who don't look into background information when finally realize they don't understand.
I can only click the like button one time, so I clicked it really hard;)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"The transmission on the P5 will be a Multi-mode Manual Transmission from Aisin the world's largest transmission manufacturer."

That article is not much clearer. The assumption seems to be that the P5 will be a manual trans, probably for gas mileage reasons, but nothing indicates anything other than a manual unless it falls under the 'multi-mode' category, but then why call it a manual transmission.
Multi-Mode Manual Transmission is the "Automatic" that Elio is using as an option. Further, they expect better fuel economy with it than the manual transmission. It's Multi-Mode because you can "shift" it yourself or let the car make the gear changes.

The Odd thing is that "Multi-mode Manual Transmission" is a Toyota naming convention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimode_manual_transmission

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget the people who then take THAT version, summarize it, and pass it off as the truth (and their own original work)...

Keith Dahl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't have a reference link, but I could have sworn that somewhere along the line...
EM stated that the best gas mileage will be achieved by the (more expensive) AMT tranny.
In most vehicles that offer both transmissions, the AMTs gets the better mileage.
I THINK I HEARD MR ELIO HIMSELF SAY THAT, MAYBEI READ IT...BUT the source USED THE REASONING THAT THE( oops caps abuse)...but too lazy to start over....anyway the auto trans knows the perfect time to shift, saving fuel. but you know what? in my Hyundai I gave away to son and on my motorcycle I coast a LOT of the time. in the car I simply shifted the 5 speed to neutral , on the bike I just pull in the clutch handle. in fact I wish someone would invent a tranny for a motorcycle that would allow you to go to neutral without going thru the gears like you can in a car with a manual tranny. does this make sense? its easier to replace brakes than engines or trannies and I rarely use the engines compression to slow down.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The recent EM press releases have been scooped up by numerous media outlets.
All of them has presented the information in an upbeat manner so far.
It certainly can't hurt public perception of EM.
True -- even if collectively they represent the poor research, lazy, inaccurate, and "hook" oriented (whether positive or negative) reporting that is today's norm.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your memory is very good, but circumstances change ... who knows what the current spec vs. goal and tranny performance really are? Not Elio -- not yet -- a few hundred miles in the P5 will tell.

Top Bottom