• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Latest Google Search News Artical

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I THINK I HEARD MR ELIO HIMSELF SAY THAT, MAYBEI READ IT...BUT the source USED THE REASONING THAT THE( oops caps abuse)...but too lazy to start over....anyway the auto trans knows the perfect time to shift, saving fuel. but you know what? in my Hyundai I gave away to son and on my motorcycle I coast a LOT of the time. in the car I simply shifted the 5 speed to neutral , on the bike I just pull in the clutch handle. in fact I wish someone would invent a tranny for a motorcycle that would allow you to go to neutral without going thru the gears like you can in a car with a manual tranny. does this make sense? its easier to replace brakes than engines or trannies and I rarely use the engines compression to slow down.
If you have fuel injection, you're actually using more fuel coasting than you are if you leave it in gear with the clutch engaged.
Coasting uses fuel at idle to keep the motor running. Not coasting while not on the gas theoretically uses no fuel.
That's true on a vehicle with fuel injection whether has a standard, AMT, or conventional auto tranny.

Now... On a carbed bike, why in the world would having the clutch in not be enough? Why would you need to pop it into nuetral?

Long hills and carpal tunnel?

Last edited:

Keith Dahl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you have fuel injection, you're actually using more fuel coasting than you are if you leave it in gear with the clutch engaged.
Coasting uses fuel at idle to keep the motor running. Not coasting while not on the gas theoretically uses no fuel.
That's true on a vehicle with fuel injection whether has a standard, AMT, or conventional auto tranny.

Now... On a carbed bike, why in the world would having the clutch in not be enough? Why would you need to pop it into nuetral?

Long hills and carpal tunnel?
LOL. I think its because im strange and in neutral there are lots of less moving parts than there is even with clutch in and coasting. the bike is fuel injected. my insane reasoning is the less things "working" the longer it will last. I will drive my elio UNTIL I DIE...and then one of my kids destroy it. but I appreciate learning something from you. it aint about the fuel its about wear, tear .& repair. a couple years ago the local Hyundai dealer meticulously took apart my tranny in my accent and since I was under 100k miles they determined it breaking was under warranty. they put in a new clutch and tranny for nothing. I blamed my son....to him, not them...one look at the front tires told me how he drove it. also he had a habit of constantly shifting back and forth from gear to gear while sitting at a red light. BUT after all this...you may have just talked me into the automatic :-) and I may have talked myself into looking into a Prozac prescription.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Snipped"
My 650 V-star is carbed and yes, I used to throw the clutch in and coast to stops.
I don't do that anymore because I realized, even on a carbed bike...
It still sucks gas whether the engine is engaged or not.
I never did like the feeling of there being less control while coasting.
I do downshift a lot, using the engine as a gradual brake.
It's shaft drive, so I'm not wearing out chains in exchange for saving pads and rotors.

It's hard to remember to change tactics when going from the 650 to the chain driven 250 Virago.
After I stretched out a chain in less than a year, I decided to ease up on the downshifting and hard take-offs.

Now on my 12-speed bicycles, I stop pedaling and just let 'em rip.
Did 34 miles on the Le Tour this past morning before the rain came.

It all involved an on-site tube repair and a sun burn, but man it smells like freedom when you're out there.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"...A multi-mode Aisin manual will be the only transmission offered...."

What exactly does this mean? No automatic? Or is that the 'multi-mode'?
I take this to mean that the same transmission will be both the manual and automated manual transmission.

If it is to be a manual transmission, they connect the clutch to the clutch pedal and connect the shifter linkage to a manual shift lever in the cockpit.

If it is to function as an automated manual transmission, they connect the clutch and shifter linkage to a box that is electrically powered and controlled by a computer. This box would probably mount on the transmission.

The same manual transmission functions as either a manual or automatic. It all depending on what controls it: a human or computer.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I take this to mean that the same transmission will be both the manual and automated manual transmission.

If it is to be a manual transmission, they connect the clutch to the clutch pedal and connect the shifter linkage to a manual shift lever in the cockpit.

If it is to function as an automated manual transmission, they connect the clutch and shifter linkage to a box that is electrically powered and controlled by a computer. This box would probably mount on the transmission.

The same manual transmission functions as either a manual or automatic. It all depending on what controls it: a human or computer.

that is my understanding as well

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aren't there vehicles with dual mode transmissions that have both configurations connected?
Where a button electrically shuts off the "box that is electrically powered and controlled by a computer"?

If this read is valid, will having the same transmission but having the "box..." connected to it still cost $700 to $1000 more?

Edit: Ahhhh. Scratch all that.

I did some reading. It sounds like the additional electro-hydraulic control should cost considerably more, but read on.
I think EM did explain how you can manually shift (no foot pedal) the AMT with the stick in some of their information.
I'm pretty sure it was the usual "+ M -" configuration. Let me know if I've got this right. I think I like the concept.

Using the picture below as an example, to manually shift the vehicle, you place the shifter in "M" instead of "D".
To shift up a gear you move the shifter down to bump "+" and to shift down a gear, you move the shifter up to bump "-".
The shifter returns to "M" via spring tension when you let go, instead of remaining in "+" or "-".

spacer.jpg
spacer.jpg
spacer.jpg
spacer.jpg
spacer.jpg
spacer.jpg
spacer.jpg
amtshifter.jpg
spacer.jpg

I was set on the "standard" manual configuration but now I'm going to have to give it more thought.

More stuff to break and possibly more expensive to fix out of warranty, but jeez that'd be nice.

Below is a link to a video about a 5 speed AMT in action in a Maruti Suzuki Celerio VXI. The video has got me thinking.
@ 1:45 in the video, the reviewer says, "The automated manual transmission in the Celerio is identical to it's 5-speed counterpart."
"The only difference being the absence of a clutch and the shifts taking place through an electro-hydraulic unit mounted on top of the gearbox."

"AND THAT IS WHAT KEEPS COSTS DOWN." Hmmm.

The next video at that link says, "The auto (tranny) will only be available on the base two models."
In fact, the upgrade models come standard with the "identical" transmission in the non-auto 5-speed manual configuration.
This all sounds like, for the Celerio, the 'manual only' transmission configuration is MORE EXPENSIVE than the AMT!
Now just what is up with that?

The embed code produced an error, so click here for the link to the video(s).

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aren't there vehicles with dual mode transmissions that have both configurations connected?
Where a button electrically shuts off the "box that is electrically powered and controlled by a computer"?
Not that I've read about but that seems interesting... clutch it most of the time or let the computer shift in heavy traffic. I like it. (Paddle shifters just aren't the same)

zarquon

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Are we at all interested in hyper mileing? That is what I'm picking up on with this coasting in and out of gear thing. I have tried my hand at it but to really do it you have to get pretty crazy drafting trucks and taking risky high speed turns. One thing I've done in my older manual is coast and kill the motor then pop start when ready. Hard on transmission? Maybe, but the tank is 23 years old and nothing seems to bother it. I'd love to tell you it saves a lot, but the odo broke a dozen years ago.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sounds a bit like the old slapstick automatic I had in my Camaro. My new Ram C/V has a six speed automatic, but is shifted manually when in drive by moving the stick right or left. I have only used that feature in snow, because the stick is actually on the dash and slightly behind the wheel, so not safe or convenient.

Top Bottom