• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

Reaction score
Ohio is screwed up yet. New Law goes into effect 1/1/2017. It both requires helmet and goggles to be worn by under 18 years olds and novelist riders (After motorcycle classes and for a whole year). OR 3511 requires it and 3511.53 (C) (2) excludes cab-enclosed motorcycles! Motorcycle endorsements will still be required. When I bring home my Elio in April 2015 till 1/1/2017 I will be breaking Ohio Lawssssssssssss. After that I will have standing in the court to argue. You know I'm looking forward too it. I love fighting in court, specially when I am RIGHT!
CORRECTION: That should be 4511.53 (C) (2)excludes cab-enclosed motorcycles. Sorry.
The 'cops' and everybody else will LOVE to have a chance to pull us over in our Elios, just to get a longer look at it. Sometimes doing something stupid is just doing something different.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CORRECTION: That should be 4511.53 (C) (2)excludes cab-enclosed motorcycles. Sorry.
The 'cops' and everybody else will LOVE to have a chance to pull us over in our Elios, just to get a longer look at it. Sometimes doing something stupid is just doing something different.
The difference is that if they pull you over just because they are curious they don't do any writing.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it's the company's responsibility to eliminate the hurdles of licensing and helmet issues for their potential customers. I have reservations on 2 new enclosed cabin classified motorcycles the Elio & the Lit Motor's C-1 and hope to take delivery on both in 2015. Reps from both company's are saying they are working on the licensing and helmet issues and it will be resolved by the time the vehicles finally make there way to production. I would like to see Elio & Lit work jointly and efficiently to eliminate duplication of effort and avoid potential confusion.......maybe they are. I hope it gets resolved long before production begins.........and that's only about a year away.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even though I no longer ride a motorcycle I have maintained my motorcycle endorsement when I moved to New Mexico a few years back. My wife couldn't understand why. Guess I still had fantasies about riding again. Hopefully the Elio will satisfy those fantasies, at least in part

Cobra-Pilot

Elio Fan
Reaction score
In one of the earlier posts a person was saying that he did not want top go to the MC course as he had no plans to ride a MC. In my 53 years of riding all forms of two and three wheeled MC's I have taken many ground schools around MC safety from different states and the Armed Forces. From what I gained in those classes I believe that is why I have been able to ride all these years with out ever putting one down or being involved in an accident with a cage.
I feel even if a person never has a thought of a MC being part of his life other than the ones he or she sees on the road should avail themselves to a local course so they are a driver that is more safety conscience. Two wheelers and three wheelers handle a lot different than a four wheeled vehicle and it is my opinion that some of the four wheel drivers that jump into their new Elio and buzz off down the highway are going have a few unexpected thrills especially on a nice curvy road the first time.
Just my opinion but a million plus miles on two wheels has made me just a little bit aware of the hazards.

upload_2014-4-21_10-34-37.png

Art Cline | CW3 Retired | US Army |Senior Aviator | Combat Wounded

162nd Copperhead 28 | 187th Rat Pack18 | E co 704th Buzzard 8c

WORWAC 66-9 Red Hats / Phouc Vinh / Tay Ninh / Pleiku / An Khe

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a future Elio owner I'm not interested in ground school for MC safety or MC licensing. Flight School............maybe.

I understand and respect your opinion. If the Elio was not of a tadpole configuration, having much more stability that a 1F2R design, I would say actual driver testing would be more critical to the safe use and handling of a trike. I'm guessing you are and always have been a safety minded individual irregardless of what you are riding, flying, or driving.

I consider myself to be a safe and considerate driver, always aware of traffic conditions around me and especially aware of the ground schooled MC licensed riders weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. MC ground school isn't the answer to your ability to drive any vehicle safely. Granted, it may make you more aware of your traffic surroundings regarding your personal safety while riding a MC. Elio is more like driving a car.......with it's enclosed safety cage and no counter steering to think about. Also, I recently learned that the Elio has a stability control feature.

If it's possible.........I will have a heightened awareness level of surrounding auto & MC traffic when behind the wheel of my first MC classified vehicle......the Elio Trikke.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a future Elio owner I'm not interested in ground school for MC safety or MC licensing. Flight School............maybe.

I understand and respect your opinion. If the Elio was not of a tadpole configuration, having much more stability that a 1F2R design, I would say actual driver testing would be more critical to the safe use and handling of a trike. I'm guessing you are and always have been a safety minded individual irregardless of what you are riding, flying, or driving.

I consider myself to be a safe and considerate driver, always aware of traffic conditions around me and especially aware of the ground schooled MC licensed riders weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. MC ground school isn't the answer to your ability to drive any vehicle safely. Granted, it may make you more aware of your traffic surroundings regarding your personal safety while riding a MC. Elio is more like driving a car.......with it's enclosed safety cage and no counter steering to think about.

If it's possible.........I will have a heightened awareness level of surrounding auto & MC traffic when behind the wheel of my first MC classified vehicle......the Elio Trikke.
You are definitely aging your interest by calling it the Elio Trikke. LOL You weren't kidding when you said you have been following the Elio for a long time. How did you ever find out about it in the first place? I only learned about it in January of this year when my older son told me about it and he had known about it about 2 months before that. He was hoping to interest me because his step-mom and dad had shown no interest at all. A week later I knew more about the Elio than he did. I definitely had been bitten by the Elio bug! LOL :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are definitely aging your interest by calling it the Elio Trikke. LOL You weren't kidding when you said you have been following the Elio for a long time. How did you ever find out about it in the first place? I only learned about it in January of this year when my older son told me about it and he had known about it about 2 months before that. He was hoping to interest me because his step-mom and dad had shown no interest at all. A week later I knew more about the Elio than he did. I definitely had been bitten by the Elio bug! LOL :) Z
I have had interest in tilting three wheelers and followed many tilting three wheeler concepts over the past 6 years. While doing a search I happened across the original Hello Elio! Campaign about 5+ years ago when Paul Elio just gave Birth to his Elio concept. Although it was a non-tilting concept I became one of the original Elio fans. Elio disappeared from site for about 3 years (not a word or whisper) and then Elio reappeared about two years ago with a BANG! Lots happened during that down time.

I have a reservation on both the Elio and also the Lit Motors C-1 a two wheeled self balancing 'Car'. Looking forward to delivery of both next year. My first motorcycle experience! You have a smart older son for steering you to Elio as it will be a FUNctional ride!

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In one of the earlier posts a person was saying that he did not want top go to the MC course as he had no plans to ride a MC. In my 53 years of riding all forms of two and three wheeled MC's I have taken many ground schools around MC safety from different states and the Armed Forces. From what I gained in those classes I believe that is why I have been able to ride all these years with out ever putting one down or being involved in an accident with a cage.
I feel even if a person never has a thought of a MC being part of his life other than the ones he or she sees on the road should avail themselves to a local course so they are a driver that is more safety conscience. Two wheelers and three wheelers handle a lot different than a four wheeled vehicle and it is my opinion that some of the four wheel drivers that jump into their new Elio and buzz off down the highway are going have a few unexpected thrills especially on a nice curvy road the first time.
Just my opinion but a million plus miles on two wheels has made me just a little bit aware of the hazards.
As a member of the 1st Cav I was in all the same places as you in 1968

View attachment 632

Art Cline | CW3 Retired | US Army |Senior Aviator | Combat Wounded

162nd Copperhead 28 | 187th Rat Pack18 | E co 704th Buzzard 8c

WORWAC 66-9 Red Hats / Phouc Vinh / Tay Ninh / Pleiku / An Khe

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Two wheelers and three wheelers handle a lot different than a four wheeled vehicle and it is my opinion that some of the four wheel drivers that jump into their new Elio and buzz off down the highway are going have a few unexpected thrills especially on a nice curvy road the first time.

It really depends on they are set up. I can tell you flat out that even the motorcycle like Spyder's do NOT handle like a motorcycle. Yet even these are closer to that of a motorcycle than the Elio is. The 3-wheelers set up such as the Elio and the T-rex do actually handle very much like a 4-wheel car. This was proven by Elio in their testing, is proven all the time in T-rex's, and was even found to be true by American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators in their evaluation of different types of 3-wheeled vehicles in order to aid states on what skills are needed for these vehicles and how to regulate them. I can tell you that a 4wheel driver will be at home in the Elio while a motorcycle rider with no car experience will be totally lost and out of their element.

Top Bottom