• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lets Help Em Find $500.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many climates do need A/C, but some climates do not. Make A/C available as an optional add on for those that need it/want it to make the $6800 price point, but do not require it for all.

WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS SCREAMING AT PEOPLE?

Maybe he's just hard of hearing and doesn't know he is shouting. That doesn't explain what he is shouting though.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lost sleep last night thinking about the A/C. Completely understand and agree that in some climates that A/C is an essential.

But a number of climates are OK without A/C. A basic transportation vehicle does not require A/C, its a 'nice to have' and remember how many vehicles in the past never had A/C.

Personally, I have a 40 year old basic small car that does not have A/C and never came with it from the factory. Would not want it either because of the power loss and neither do most of the other 20,000 owners of similar cars (Porsche 914 2.0L). Anyone considered the effects of what the A/C will do to the Elio performance and gas mileage? It could turn an already under powered vehicle into a dog. Say goodbye to 84/49 mpg, probably 20% less. You think 55 hp is slow off the line, how about what is effectively 40hp? If the Elio gets a reputation for being a dog, then goodbye to its popularity.

What if the Elio was designed to accommodate an A/C system, that could be added easily by PepBoyz or others as an option? The A/C is not a complex system, its a few bolt on hardware items, some wired controls, 2 refrigerant lines, and pressure charging the refrigerant lines. If the Elio was designed and set-up to accept this package system so it was a simple bolt on process, it could be considered optional, and we could reach the pricing goal, maybe even reduce the initial cost below $6,800.

So there you have it, a $6,800 vehicle, A/C if you want/need it, no A/C if you don't, no worries.

Take out the AC and watch your summer time Fuel mileage actually go down:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hotweather.shtml

Our all knowing government says "What can I do to improve my fuel economy in hot weather? Roll the windows down at lower speeds; use the AC at highway speeds."

You can pay me now (include AC) or you can pay me later (lower fuel economy due to higher wind drag). And as noted, in most modern cars, the AC is also the defroster. YOu drive in Iowa, you need both at some point of the year.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No A/C that is not going to happen, let look down another path. What if they moved the fuel inlet to the other side, would that help?

facebook-secret-smileys-codes.jpg

Top Bottom