• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

License Plate Brackets

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF it's needed, there's an aftermarket operation that sells a hinged front plate mount for the Miata. The bracket below the hinge is weighted, so that up to about 35 mph, the plate is vertical. Above that speed, the air lays the plate down in the radiator opening. Works like a charm on the Miata, and from what I see of the P5, it looks like it would work OK on the Elio. (The one in the link is slightly different that what's described above.)

http://www.thompson-automotive.com/Disappearing_plate.html

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
IF it's needed, there's an aftermarket operation that sells a hinged front plate mount for the Miata. The bracket below the hinge is weighted, so that up to about 35 mph, the plate is vertical. Above that speed, the air lays the plate down in the radiator opening. Works like a charm on the Miata, and from what I see of the P5, it looks like it would work OK on the Elio. (The one in the link is slightly different that what's described above.)
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/Disappearing_plate.html

<Pssstttt go read post #10>

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There will be 1 (one) motorcycle plate in the rear only.
I don't know if I can remember how many times this has been discussed, but it's right in there with the gas cap, left door only and yellow.
The problem is plate requirements are controlled by state law just like helmet requirements. There are 50 or 51 different answers in the continental US alone.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem is plate requirements are controlled by state law just like helmet requirements. There are 50 or 51 different answers in the continental US alone.
HI is a state but not 'continental'. AK is continental but not contiguous or conterminous. That confusion bugged me as former resident of AK.

Top Bottom