• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Limited Edition For Those Having Reservations?

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes really! "it would be much easier to make the trim fit the body of the EE first" and I am in full agreement with that statement as well. But it doesn't need to be affixed to the vehicle prior to painting. Masking trim and painting belonge in the realm of used car lots and plaid jacketsbecause it is less labor intensive and plain CHEAPER. If you are going to do a custom piece, you do a custom piece, if you are going to do a job that you can be proud of, do it right
I just can't see how someone could paint the car, and nail exactly where the trim was going to line up without taping the trim in place first to get a template. Do a video if you can.

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent a Question/idea to the Elio Team about just that, a few months ago... what are they going to do for the " All in Granders " the $1,000 down group... they are the ones that believed in Elio and took the risk to go " All in " ...They replied back that they had something " Special " for the " All in " group... but would not say anything more... I believe it will be a badge or stamp/seal or production number, but they did say there is going to be something planned for the Granders...

Proud to be... an Elio owner... soon...

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just can't see how someone could paint the car, and nail exactly where the trim was going to line up without taping the trim in place first to get a template. Do a video if you can.
I'll see if I can find something. I haven't done anything like this since I was a kid. I had a friend whose father had a body shop. Mostly run of the mill body & fender, bet on several occasions he did custom work for some of the hot rodders around town. back then in the 50's and early 60's trim was all metal and was held in place with clips that were attached to the body with rivets. Creating and fitting trim back then was an art. I can remember Bills dad heatimg, bending and adjusting a piece of new trim 20-30 or more times until it was just right, then start working on the trim for thr opposite side of the car which of course a mirror image. That kind of work is not necessary with todays trim materials which principally are adhesive backed rubber and plastics. These materials have flex in all directions and will conform to gentle curves. So they can be easily laid right over paint borders with minimal effort. this type of trim can be purchased in widths from ½" to an inch or more. The thinner moldings have far more side to side flex than wider ones. My concern may well be unfounded, as I am totally out of touch with manufacturing methods for this type of product. I am pretty sure they are extruded, that is material forced through a die to form the contour. And because I am not familiar, I am probably overlooking the obvious. Any way my concern was the lower rear molding from the door to the rear fender. It is of increasing width the farther back it goes. I simply cannot conceive of how it might be created.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just wait! I'm going to paint my Elio now and put it on when it gets here!

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent a Question/idea to the Elio Team about just that, a few months ago... what are they going to do for the " All in Granders " the $1,000 down group... they are the ones that believed in Elio and took the risk to go " All in " ...They replied back that they had something " Special " for the " All in " group... but would not say anything more... I believe it will be a badge or stamp/seal or production number, but they did say there is going to be something planned for the Granders...

Proud to be... an Elio owner... soon...
Yea, OL'2951 :)

Top Bottom