• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

List Of New Parts Versus Existing Parts Thread

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
according to very limited reports, they are still making decisions on some parts to be used and even some design features (example: flat towing connections) .... at some point decisions will have to be made

Jim

I am sure at this point they pretty much know what parts will be used for the E-series vehicles. That being said many of those parts are not final yet as they are subject to change upon further vehicle development and testing. It will not be until the two dozen or so test vehicles hit the road, and crash test barriers, that EM will be able to fully evaluate everything and make the final decisions. There will likely be changes in specific parts occurring until just 2-3 months before production begins. Overall this is a good thing as we want EM to make changes to improve the quality of the vehicle while keeping costs as low as possible however it will be frustrating as well because we likely will not see much of a parts list until just prior to production.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am sure at this point they pretty much know what parts will be used for the E-series vehicles. That being said many of those parts are not final yet as they are subject to change upon further vehicle development and testing. It will not be until the two dozen or so test vehicles hit the road, and crash test barriers, that EM will be able to fully evaluate everything and make the final decisions. There will likely be changes in specific parts occurring until just 2-3 months before production begins. Overall this is a good thing as we want EM to make changes to improve the quality of the vehicle while keeping costs as low as possible however it will be frustrating as well because we likely will not see much of a parts list until just prior to production.

One part is surely in question, as it is likely that our air-bag supplier could be bankrupted by this massive recall. I'm certain that they are already examining other options. If for no other reason than the lose of esteem attached to the supplier's name. It may become the name which may not be spoken.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A bomb (air bag) blowing up in my face scares me. Just give me a foam pillow strapped to the steering wheel and I'll be fine.
5 point seat belt harness the only safe way to go.
Here's an idea..........just put the Elio logo on on this custom steering wheel cushion and we are good to go......saving major money on airbags.........under $6800.
image.jpg

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All I care about is that there are quality parts on the shelves with an adequate supply to build a fully assembled Elio........no parts missing.....to include the IAV Engine. I'm would be happy if the Elio was just assembled in the USA with no parts left over.

I suspect Elio is finalizing the parts list as we speak and makes me wonder just how many total parts that is...............to build a base model Elio. Perhaps a contest.

The average car has about 30,000 parts............the Elio 1/2 a car concept.......guessing 10,500 parts total.
I heard 2,500 parts and components.

Puna bob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If we get this worked up when such little information is released, think how worked up we would become with significant information released.

Perhaps EM is holding back information for the sake of our mental health.

That's the problem pistonboy, when there is official news it gets dissected and analyzed to death
but when there is no official news they tend to make up their own issues to worry about. o_O

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I love it when Paul Elio backs up what I have been saying all along in an interview. :D

While everything is still subject to change as the development process continues to develop Paul Elio said flat out that not only does EM know every single part they need to build this vehicle but they have price quotes for 98% of the total parts cost of the vehicle. :cool:

I would say this is a big piece of news which came out and many people have not likely even realized just yet how important this piece of news is. :)

Tavarish: I've owned many scooters and have been around motorcycles for quite some time, and I understand that there are different technologies there, which does account for some of the price difference, for example aluminum frames and highly-strung miniaturized race engines on sports bikes. For the Elio, I think the claim is a little lofty. If you had said "This is going to be less than $10,000", it would be a little more palatable, but $6800 seems too good to be true.

Paul Elio: In all honesty, it's a stretch target. And at full disclosure, we're about $500 over budget today. If we went into production immediately, it would be 81 miles per gallon, and $7300. I don't view it as a failure, and we're working hard to hit our numbers because I think we have a decent shot of doing it. That number isn't made up, we have every single part that's required to make this vehicle, we have 87 percent quoted by part number and 98 percent by dollar value. So we can do this, I have the data to back it up.

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/elios-ceo-explains-how-he-can-sell-an-84-mpg-car-for-6-1677743693

Top Bottom