• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Little News From Tesla

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've heard this many times but nobody can ever give me why this would happen. If this was pre 2000, then it makes perfect sense. If you ever go into a dealer today, the mechanics are mostly working on electronics issues and comfort items. ICE in this day of age lasts longer than the physical car and ICE maintenance is down to a bare minimum. The #1 issue that takes a dump on a modern car is an automatic transmission and those normally will last way beyond the warranty period, thus the dealer never sees it.
There is some truth in this. EVs and ICE have a lot of similar systems. EVs don't have certain systems that require routine maintenance: oil changes, tune ups, filters, pumps, etc. As far as electronics, EV and ICE have mostly the same electronics, except for that finicky engine control computer that always seems to eventually cause problems. EVs are also much easier on some wear items like brake pads and rotors, due to regenerative braking.

When I think back over the cars I've had in the past, most of the reasons I have eventualy gotten rid of cars: transmissions and exhaust systems. I shouldn't have either of those issues with the Bolt. Yes, the electronics could fail. But I think I trust those to last longer than exhaust systems that have to deal with corrosive gasses/liquids and road damage, and transmissions that have lots of complex wear parts.

As for the rest, dealers see plenty of work for that. EV's are an ICE without a multi ratio transmission, as for the rest, it's almost the same.
Yeah... no.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 22568

A bunch of my friends have been Tesla owner’s for years...they all think their Tesla’s are the best thing since sliced bread!

Check this out...

This chart shows which brands satisfy drivers after living with their vehicles for three years. Tesla and Porsche hold the top two spots on the list of brands ranked by the average of their models’ Owner Satisfaction Scores.

Elon Musk is my hero... he’s a groundbreaking entrepreneur!
I hope he does well. He has forced the other companies to try harder.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know 4 different dealer mechanics (Ford, Chevy, BMW and Honda). Talking to them, engine and transmission problems are way down on the list of what they see. The big ones are:

1. Infotainment
2. Any external sensor for lane departure, automatic cruise control and blind spot monitoring
3. Panoramic sunroofs
4. Various electronic modules
5. Squeaks and rattles
6. Suspension (shocks clunking, alignments)
7. Electronics flashing

For engine maintenance for the first 100k, most cars today go like this:
1. Ten oil changes
2. Two air filters
3. One set of spark plugs
4. One drive belt

That's it. Most cars today don't even have fuel filters. My old 2003 BMW Z4 didn't have one. They see engine issues come around 200K and the same for automatic transmissions. As for exhaust, it's required by law to make it 150K. That's why places like Midas has to retool because the lack of exhaust work.

The top 7 items I listed don't know if they are on ICE or Electric. This is what dealer mechanics are seeing today. So, I don't see how EV's are going to kill the dealer service department.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What else does Elio have to talk about?

Also, FWIW: People have been tanking the Models S and X build quality for years. Most specifically the body panel gaps varying like crazy from one end to the other, but also various user-unfriendly system that were obviously designed by engineers and never reviewed for usability, etc. So far, it hans't really hurt Tesla much, so far as anyone can really tell. The only reason that would change is if another major manufacturer can manage to hit big sales with their own mass-market EV, and crush Tesla on quality.

GM has a great candidate with the Bolt, but they just aren't pushing the sales. This is probably due to the same reason that Tesla insists on selling its own cars: The franchised dealer network couldn't sell an EV to save their own lives. And they have no incentive to do so, since EVs will eat into the dealer network's biggest profit center: Service.
Porsche is gearing up to produce EVs this year...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've heard this many times but nobody can ever give me why this would happen. If this was pre 2000, then it makes perfect sense. If you ever go into a dealer today, the mechanics are mostly working on electronics issues and comfort items. ICE in this day of age lasts longer than the physical car and ICE maintenance is down to a bare minimum. The #1 issue that takes a dump on a modern car is an automatic transmission and those normally will last way beyond the warranty period, thus the dealer never sees it.

As for the rest, dealers see plenty of work for that. EV's are an ICE without a multi ratio transmission, as for the rest, it's almost the same. When a sunroof leaks on an EV, its no different than when it does on an ICE powered car.
My truck has been to the dealer for repairs once in the almost 4 years I've had it... for a $1,700 radiator/water pump leak. So, yeah, that ICE comment, while maybe true for some, is NOT true in my case.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know 4 different dealer mechanics (Ford, Chevy, BMW and Honda). Talking to them, engine and transmission problems are way down on the list of what they see. The big ones are:

1. Infotainment
2. Any external sensor for lane departure, automatic cruise control and blind spot monitoring
3. Panoramic sunroofs
4. Various electronic modules
5. Squeaks and rattles
6. Suspension (shocks clunking, alignments)
7. Electronics flashing

For engine maintenance for the first 100k, most cars today go like this:
1. Ten oil changes
2. Two air filters
3. One set of spark plugs
4. One drive belt

That's it. Most cars today don't even have fuel filters. My old 2003 BMW Z4 didn't have one. They see engine issues come around 200K and the same for automatic transmissions. As for exhaust, it's required by law to make it 150K. That's why places like Midas has to retool because the lack of exhaust work.

The top 7 items I listed don't know if they are on ICE or Electric. This is what dealer mechanics are seeing today. So, I don't see how EV's are going to kill the dealer service department.

Wait a second... "Most cars today don't even have fuel filters"? Mine has 2. The 2003 BMW Z4 had an integrated fuel filter/regulator - part number 16-11-7-197-690. They call it "Fuel filter pressure regulator". You are correct that the Z4 didn't have a separate fuel filter. You probably wouldn't change that filter regulator very often but at $260, it wouldn't take very often for that to get old.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read an article about Superdielectrics, these super capacitors could be a game changer for electric cars if successful.

Supercapacitors and "nano" technology are buzzwords that have been used for years as dangled carrots, but they never quite come to fruition.

SS battery technology will the the next advancement in BEVs.

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
6332DCED-F684-41B1-BAE5-99B8045C1E2D.jpeg
4F10606D-E408-4F27-89E4-A6D8D543F5D5.jpeg
Porsche is gearing up to produce EVs this year...

Here’s a link with regard to the new Porsche EV... it’s getting very close to production status!

Can’t wait for the new Porsche EV... they’re going to compete with Tesla!

My first Porsche was a pre-owned 928 when I was 23 years old... it was two years old when I purchased it...and had less than 5k miles...

Porsche makes amazing machines!

https://blog.caranddriver.com/its-o...ission-e-electric-sedan-headed-to-production/

Last edited:
Top Bottom