• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Little News From Tesla

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm. So my Ev is going to cost me as much to "fill up" there as my current 23mpg Dodge Caravan.
Say a 16kWh / 100mi range small 3W EV. 16x$.25 = $4 + $7.50 = $11.50 for 100 miles of EV.
100 miles divided by 23mpg = 4.34 x $2.60 per gallon = $11.30 for 100 miles of ICE.

I was amazed to find that I've got a Tesla charging station about 10 miles away.
And I basically live in Rural Armpit, PA. And it's not the only charging station nearby.
There's a LOT of them, but most are single units. Many are at campgrounds.

Depends on what you buy. Tesla has the largest DCFC network above 100kW in the country, and it's pretty extensive, as you've noted. Costs are different in every state, but in MN it's $0.14/kWh (free for me though). It is unfortunate that other companies don't support the consumers of their EVs the same way. Tesla has built out a huge network for less than other manufacturers spend on yearly advertising.

Luckily it would seem that utilities are starting to see that they can profit from installing their own charing equipment, which costs considerably less than Chargepoint or EVGo.

That said, most people charge at home, and I pay around ~$0.09/kWh

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is why Tesla offers Ranger service, which they are expanding. EVs aren't complicated, something like 90% of Tesla's service visits are capable of being handled by the Ranger service.

Tesla is constantly expanding, and I'm not sure Elio reservation holders are getting much out of those 1000 Pep Boys repair centers, currently. I'm fairly positive Paul has absolutely nothing of value to offer Tesla.
except another manufacturing plant...

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Nissan's chargers (Chademo) output less power (50-80kW), which is why I specified 100kW. SC stations are capable of outputting 150kW, but but are limited to ~120kW.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most other vehicles can't handle that kind of charge rate. Even if I hook my Bolt up to a 100 kW DC charger, it won't pull 100 kW. I think it is limited to about 60 kW, but that's only for a mostly empty battery, and the charge rate tapers as it gets to a higher charge state. I think the Nissan Leaf is limited to a slightly lower rate, but it's hard to find any details on the newer model. Also, many manufacturers don't really publicize those charge rates for their vehicles. You have to just try it, and do your own math, which is not quite accurate.

Tesla definitely has the advantage on charge rates at public chargers. Many other vehicles can't take advantage of those higher charge rates yet, even if they are available. Plans are in the works for higher rate Chademo and CCS, but it will take a while for those to be installed in the US.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1/23/2018 Electrek:
A489D52A-D682-4678-8250-2C1B1E7076CE.jpeg

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla had quite a large display at Barrett-Jackson last week. I was somewhat surprised that they did not have a Model 3 there.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla had quite a large display at Barrett-Jackson last week. I was somewhat surprised that they did not have a Model 3 there.
With 500K Model 3 Reservations there is no need to display it at shows. They are more likely trying to market the S and X to the Barrett-Jackson crowd.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With 500K Model 3 Reservations there is no need to display it at shows. They are more likely trying to market the S and X to the Barrett-Jackson crowd.
I bet Jay leno and the other car collectors can't wait to own all 4 S.E.X.Y. versions of TESLA!:D

Top Bottom