• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Looks Like A Big Production Delay Is Imminent

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's my take, and I hope I am wrong. From the start, and putting myself in his shoes, I would get a prototype up and ready to run, and then try to sell the concept when it was just about ready to go. Who would be interested? Well, Ford for one. Since it already has the arc spray (Flame spray as they call it) patents, and since the EPA looks like it will go ahead with the new fleet mpg requirements, (50+ mpg average), the addition of a product line like this to a global entity manufacturer makes good sense, as it will allow a lot of low mileage pickups to be produced and be balanced by a high mileage vehicle like this, and no need to go the expensive electric route to do it.
As I said, just my take on the cynical side...

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
immanent |ˈimənənt|adjectiveexisting or operating within; inherent: the protection of liberties is immanent in constitutional arrangements.• (of God) permanently pervading and sustaining the universe. Often contrasted with transcendent.

imminent |ˈimənənt|adjective1 about to happen: they were in imminent danger of being swept away.

Sorry, I have a teaching credential. :rolleyes:

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My impression of that site is it is enormous and Elio was only leasing part of it. The rest was available for use by other businesses. The person who managed the lease agreement and I believe is the CEO of the property management company is actually on Elio's board of directors. I can't believe he would undercut the company he is a board member of. That doesn't make sense.

Your impression is correct...

The site IS enormous and Elio will only occupy part of it.

IRG will develop and lease the ENTIRE property. Stu Lichter is the President and COB of IRG. He also sits on Elio's Board of Directors.

The contract giving rights to IRG is a done deal. AND, as part of that deal, IRG gave Elio $7.5M in funding. (I strongly suspect that IRG and/or Mr. Lichter are huge investors in Elio.)

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not so much the plant, what about all the free tooling that came with it?

The "tooling" was not free. In fact, in a deal totally separate from the sale of the plant, Elio bought the equipment from Racer's Trust well before the plant was sold. (It has significantly more value to Elio than the plant.) AND, the equipment they purchased cost more than the plant (but was still a screaming deal).

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's my take, and I hope I am wrong. From the start, and putting myself in his shoes, I would get a prototype up and ready to run, and then try to sell the concept when it was just about ready to go. Who would be interested? Well, Ford for one. Since it already has the arc spray (Flame spray as they call it) patents, and since the EPA looks like it will go ahead with the new fleet mpg requirements, (50+ mpg average), the addition of a product line like this to a global entity manufacturer makes good sense, as it will allow a lot of low mileage pickups to be produced and be balanced by a high mileage vehicle like this, and no need to go the expensive electric route to do it.
As I said, just my take on the cynical side...

Ford is not going to be interested in getting into the Motorcycle manufacturing business. Besides, a motorcycle would not be counted in any automobile manufacturers C.A.F.E. numbers. If they did, Honda could produce all the gas guzzling behemoth super cars it wanted and not even get close to not meeting the CAFE requirements. All those scooters and CRF 50's get really good economy.

Top Bottom