• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 1375

I took my drivers test in this in 1965, no power anything and it parallel parked without any problems.
My Dad was a good driving instructor. :) (Happy Fathers Day Dad, RIP)
Parking an Elio should be the least of our worries.
The biggest problem will be all the gawkers.:rolleyes:
I'm in the link power steering, no problem" camp as well. I was just pointing out that there are instances where a typical driver may be turning the wheel while stationary.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the link power steering, no problem" camp as well. I was just pointing out that there are instances where a typical driver may be turning the wheel while stationary.

I agree that this does happen and some drivers will have to adapt their driving style a bit to the fact that the Elio does not have power steering. It is not hard at all but you do have to be conscious of the fact that the vehicle handles easiest when it is rolling even very slowly. Once people get used to this it will become second nature to them.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any full time load on the engine is going to share fuel with the business of getting you down the road. My 2200 lb Opel had no power steering, but I ordered the dealer-installed AC. On the 3+ hour run from Houston to Lake Charles I performed at least every two weeks back in '75, I got 34 mpg in summer with the AC on, 37-38 mpg in winter without the AC. Yeah, with a small engine, the horsepower consumed by all those pumps and compressors adds up quickly. As a part of the AC package, GM, Harrison, Opel, or somebody had the foresight to include a vacuum switch that would disconnect the AC clutch when you floored the throttle, disconnecting the load of the compressor from the engine to give you a considerable performance boost when you really needed it.

I don't think the Elio will need power steering - that Opel didn't, and it was a quick-ratio rack and pinion setup on a car 1000# heavier than the Elio. Tires will make a bit of difference to steering effort, though. The OEM French-made bias-ply Goodyears made parallel parking a breeze, but their 850# load rating was too light for my needs. Within a year I upgraded to a Sears Radial (made by Michelin) that was slightly wider, but had a 1200# load rating. They returned exactly the same mileage, but they increased the steering load by about 40% when trying to turn the wheel at a dead stop.

That wasn't a particular problem because my other car was a '67 Mustang V8 without power steering - and with all that weight in the nose and the glamorous "Wide Oval" tires of the day, it was a real bear to parallel park. It's all in what you get used to. In college I bought a '47 Cadillac to restore, and even with the new 346 CID V8 and tractor-like construction, at 4100# it had no power steering either. Trying to parallel park that beast was a real wrestling match. You had to learn to creep slowly forward or back while turning the wheel to make parking possible. Once you figured that out, no problem.

Last edited:

Rolland

Reaction score
The Elio is so light, you will not need power steering. The manual rack and pinion has a built in torque multiplier so you are not directly turning the wheels, but a small gear (the pinion) along a toothed bar (the rack).

And now, all of you who were perplexed with the 60 or 100 in 9.6 seconds. Do the V8 veggie juice thing on your self. 62.5 mph equals 100kph. Class dismissed. So endth the trick.

Last edited:

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a 2200 lb. Honda CR-X for 12 years and it had no power steering. Cranking the wheel when stopped is the only time it made any difference at all. When moving, even slowly you won't even know. At the Elio weight should be no problemo.
MK

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With all the news of late about defective ignition switches in GM products I've come to the conclusion that the decision NOT to include power steering on the Elio is not a matter of economy or power or necessity. Given that the sudden loss of engine power due to defective switches has been implicated as the direct cause of multiple deaths and numerous crashes, the lack of power steering is a cutting edge safety feature that will be available ONLY on the Elio. At least until other manufacturers begin to see the light and follow their example.
No power steering means no power source to fail. The Elio can suffer a total loss of all engine AND electrical power, and steering will remain completely un-affected. What an incredible advancement in safety technology!
While there is still no official word from NHTSA regarding these new revelations, one expert who's asked to remain annonymous, told me: "we should have thought of this YEARS ago."
Yet, the lingering question remains; What can we do about all those power-steering equipped death-traps on the road which daily place all of us just one blown fuse away from oblivion? Will car companies finally be forced to take these power death units out of our cars, and replace them with this revolutionary non-powered technology? It seems only time will tell. But we have all been finally made aware of the ticking time-bomb that rests under almost every hood in America and throuout the world. Congress needs to act, and do so quickly. Every time an engine stalls, people are dying.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)
Jul 08 16:06
Hey Dustoff!
Power steering is not a necessary feature in this vehicle because of how well it drives as a front-wheeled drive vehicle, with most of the weight in the front of the vehicle. Two people sitting in tandem inside further mute the need to add in power steering, and this is one cost less to worry about us having to wrap into the current base price of $6800! You will be able to see first hand how tight the driving experience is when you test drive the vehicle early next year during our ride and drive series OR at a location near you once we go into production next year. Thanks for vocalizing your concerns and we look forward to meeting you in the near future!
Best,
The Elio Team

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With all the news of late about defective ignition switches in GM products I've come to the conclusion that the decision NOT to include power steering on the Elio is not a matter of economy or power or necessity. Given that the sudden loss of engine power due to defective switches has been implicated as the direct cause of multiple deaths and numerous crashes, the lack of power steering is a cutting edge safety feature that will be available ONLY on the Elio. At least until other manufacturers begin to see the light and follow their example.
No power steering means no power source to fail. The Elio can suffer a total loss of all engine AND electrical power, and steering will remain completely un-affected. What an incredible advancement in safety technology!
While there is still no official word from NHTSA regarding these new revelations, one expert who's asked to remain annonymous, told me: "we should have thought of this YEARS ago."
Yet, the lingering question remains; What can we do about all those power-steering equipped death-traps on the road which daily place all of us just one blown fuse away from oblivion? Will car companies finally be forced to take these power death units out of our cars, and replace them with this revolutionary non-powered technology? It seems only time will tell. But we have all been finally made aware of the ticking time-bomb that rests under almost every hood in America and throuout the world. Congress needs to act, and do so quickly. Every time an engine stalls, people are dying.
Here, here! And, well played, by the way!

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I like the cut of your jib! :D

Top Bottom