• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's great. However, I hope you won't fret if you don't get an immediate answer. I look forward to hearing the results. Even though I am a little old lady, I honestly am not concerned about needing power steering. Of course I may regret that statement once I try to parallel park the Elio since I certainly can't pick up the back end and move it like a wheel barrow. LOL :) Z
If anybody remembers the old steering wheel knobs.............a good retro assist for maneuvering into that parallel parking space.........no power steering required. The one to the right even has a built in compass.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I certainly remember them
Yes, I remember asking my dad (after seeing one on a neighbors truck) why we didn't have one on the family station wagon. He said "because the ball can break off unexpectedly, :eek: causing accidents"...good enough for me. :)
Oh, about power steering...It came to mind that because they are trying to source cheap (inexpensive) parts that are currently in production, powersteering units may be cheaper & more readily available.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I remember asking my dad (after seeing one on a neighbors truck) why we didn't have one on the family station wagon. He said "because the ball can break off unexpectedly, :eek: causing accidents"...good enough for me. :)
Oh, about power steering...It came to mind that because they are trying to source cheap (inexpensive) parts that are currently in production, powersteering units may be cheaper & more readily available.
you might just be right. There probably aren't many manufacturers producing the old rack and pinion steering of old (among other styles as well.) I remember when I had my 1965 Mustangs mechanical systems checked in 1986, the power steering leaked and the bushings were expensive so it was converted to manual steering... That was a chest work out. The 351W motor and wide tires did NOTHING to ease my turning effort. But, as I was glad to explioit, speed did.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom