• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In most cases it's a rip-off. The undercoating is too thin to do much good. And 95% of the time it is done at the factory so the dealership gets 100% mark-up. I had a dealership try to slip this in on me once and declined it. I was there when the vehicle arrived and the undercoating was already on it.

Our closest Kia dealer tried to charge for the "window tint" on the rear windows of our last Sorento. They said since it was Texas, they send all of their Sorentos to the tint shop to add tint to the rear windows. I pointed out that it was not a film but privacy glass and it comes from the factory like that, including pictures from the Kia website. LMAO, liars. The GM apologized and said it was because the sales person was new. I asked if the sales person was the one who added that line charge to all of the Monroney stickers on the lot, too?

That was the last time we used that dealership.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before we start gathering to burn down the plant can we see what Elio Motors has to say?
I sent them an email addressing what I was last told vs. what we have learned from the videos that were put out.
As soon as I get a response I will post it here.

Thanks.

I sent Elio my vote for Composite Panels on Friday. I am sure they will be thinking this issue over seriously. If I get anything back worth mentioning I will put it here too.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Tanks,_Ships._Put_it_Here_-_NARA_-_533955.jpg

I also contacted Elio.....
They said they would forward to the proper department..,.
I voted for SMC.....
I live in the rust belt and my 2009 smart panels look new :D

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....... this is where they are going (steel body panels). I'll wait until the production units start to roll out the door - and if they haven't changed back to their original SMC panels, I'll look elsewhere.

I definitely WANT a "first year" / "steel bodied" Elio! Do you know how valuable the "first year" / "steel bodied" CORVETTES are??? :wof: :wof: :wof:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I definitely WANT a "first year" / "steel bodied" Elio! Do you know how valuable the "first year" / "steel bodied" CORVETTES are??? :wof: :wof: :wof:
Sorry but I grew up with Corvettes, have owned more than a few, and have followed them closely. There has NEVER been a steel bodied Corvette.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but I grew up with Corvettes, have owned more than a few, and have followed them closely. There has NEVER been a steel bodied Corvette.
Yes there is; I've got 2 of them in my display case; 1 is a 63 split window in 1/24 scale, the other is a C06 in 1/10 scale :becky:

There were two prototypes for the Corvette that were steel:
"The initial prototype (known as "EX122") was metal bodied."
And
"The only metal "Vette" was a prototype, built by Pininfarina for GM as a show car to showcase the experimental two-rotor Wankel engine in 1973. It was called the XP-987GT, Not a production vehicle, not built on a production line. Prototype all the way."

And that's as close as the Corvette has ever come to being steel bodied.

Top Bottom