• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Missouri Governor Vetoes Bill

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, you are saying it is the legislators, not the governor, who are either stupid or ignorant? Could be. But I do see a connection between safety and requiring Elio motorcycle drivers to wear a helmet.
No, I didn't say that.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
wr1 copy.jpg

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wearing a helmet in a vehicle with seat belts and airbags is not safe. You had to ask that?
What's not safe about it? I see race drivers wearing seat belts and shoulder belts and helmets all the time. Air bags would just be another layer of protection.

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, let's take the next step to protect us from ourselves. All drivers and passengers will be required to wear a full face helmet, neck restraint, 5 point belt system, full fire retardant suit and a flack vest (takata air bags). All sources of distraction will be removed - radio, nav system, phones, heat and a/c controls, window controls, etc. Headlights on at all times, flashers as well. All drivers to pass a police breathalizer and TSA screening before entry. All vehicles limited to a speed no greater than 20 mph - I am sure this would substantially reduce highway fatalities and foreign oil usage.

Last edited:

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, let's take the next step to protect us from ourselves. All drivers and passengers will be required to wear a full face helmet, neck restraint, 5 point belt system, full fire retardant suit and a flack vest (takata air bags). All sources of distraction will be removed - radio, nav system, phones, heat and a/c controls, window controls, etc. Headlights on at all times, flashers as well. All drivers to pass a police breathalizer and TSA screening before entry. All vehicles limited to a speed no greater than 20 mph - I am sure this would substantially reduce highway fatalities and foreign oil usage.
Or just stay home and travel via "virtual reality."

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's not safe about it? I see race drivers wearing seat belts and shoulder belts and helmets all the time. Air bags would just be another layer of protection.
Unfortunately that is not true. There is a reason race car drivers do not have air bags. When they deploy. they do so with great force and anything with a hard surface gets punched violently by it. It's like having more load in a bullet.

At a minimum, they need the simplest legislation which states, 'Notwithstanding any other legislation, any vehicle equipped with functional air bags shall not require the use of a helmet. The let the motorcycle legislation pass independantly

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is not true. There is a reason race car drivers do not have air bags. When they deploy. they do so with great force and anything with a hard surface gets punched violently by it. It's like having more load in a bullet.

At a minimum, they need the simplest legislation which states, 'Notwithstanding any other legislation, any vehicle equipped with functional air bags shall not require the use of a helmet. The let the motorcycle legislation pass independantly
Which makes it all that much better that Elio Motors has a government legal team that go and work with all of the states, and DC; plus they are working on Federal mandated laws that classify AutoCycle and what safety devices are needed and not needed.
So none of us has to worry anything about it; which is great because we make a lot of wrong assumptions and speculation about what should and shouldn't be done.
Leave the laws to the Pros.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is both ignorant and stupid is a lot of elio owners members teeing off when they do not know what the bill actually said and why exactly it was vetoed. A link to the text of the law or the proposed law would have been useful.

While I have no use at all 4 governors who blithely veto bills, before I call them or all politicians stupid and ignorant I would want to be better informed.

Did this bill have Elio specific clauses?
Didn't throw out motorcycle helmet requirements altogether? If it did, I can see where the governor might have vetoed it. Or was it any Elio related material simply caught up in the wash and thrown out with other unacceptable provisions?

Before resorting to name-calling like an unhappy five-year-old I would want to have more information. Then in the long run I might well agree with all of you!

Top Bottom