• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Missouri Governor Vetoes Bill

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's not safe about it? I see race drivers wearing seat belts and shoulder belts and helmets all the time. Air bags would just be another layer of protection.

You might want to look up Dale Earnhardt and the cause of his death.
Also look up "spinal hyperflexion".
.After that, re evaluate your comment.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is both ignorant and stupid is a lot of elio owners members teeing off when they do not know what the bill actually said and why exactly it was vetoed. A link to the text of the law or the proposed law would have been useful.

While I have no use at all 4 governors who blithely veto bills, before I call them or all politicians stupid and ignorant I would want to be better informed.

Did this bill have Elio specific clauses?
Didn't throw out motorcycle helmet requirements altogether? If it did, I can see where the governor might have vetoed it. Or was it any Elio related material simply caught up in the wash and thrown out with other unacceptable provisions?

Before resorting to name-calling like an unhappy five-year-old I would want to have more information. Then in the long run I might well agree with all of you!
From my experience, calling politicians ignorant and self serving is a well thought out default position. While acknowledging that even politicians can't be perfect in producing bad legislation, it is the typical outcome.

Reactions: Ekh

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's not safe about it? I see race drivers wearing seat belts and shoulder belts and helmets all the time. Air bags would just be another layer of protection.
Aren't those helmets strapped to the seats? In NASCAR, they are. They found that helmets were causing neck injuries so now they are all strapped to the headrest of the seat. Fun, huh?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently this has been going on since 2009.
Having read about the law I'm not sure the Elio community, as a group, should be too upset. The pertinent part is included below......
[A]ny person who is twenty-one years of age or older may operate or ride as a passenger on any motorcycle or motortricycle without protective headgear upon any highway of this state, except for an interstate highway…
Notice MOTORTRICYCLE.
Sounds like we would be excluded from using interstates in Missouri without a brain bucket.
Not good for residents , not good for travelers.
Info extracted from ---> https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=7132 <---

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You might want to look up Dale Earnhardt and the cause of his death.
Also look up "spinal hyperflexion".
.After that, re evaluate your comment.
The major cause of Dale's death was a seatbelt that broke; he didn't like the way NASCAR told him it had to be; it wasn't comfortable, along with the seat breaking lose from the mounts; again, because he wasn't comfortable the way NASCAR wanted him to do it. At the time, NASCAR recommended doing it a certain way for safety which he didn't follow because "safe" wasn't "comfortable".
Also HANS devices were around, but he refused to use one, they were around but not mandated; another factor was that he used an open face helmet and not a full face helmet.
The "spinal hyper-flexion" is what he died from; but it was caused by a number of other factors that were of his own doing, and not by NASCAR rules.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The major cause of Dale's death was a seatbelt that broke; he didn't like the way NASCAR told him it had to be; it wasn't comfortable, along with the seat breaking lose from the mounts; again, because he wasn't comfortable the way NASCAR wanted him to do it. At the time, NASCAR recommended doing it a certain way for safety which he didn't follow because "safe" wasn't "comfortable".
Also HANS devices were around, but he refused to use one, they were around but not mandated; another factor was that he used an open face helmet and not a full face helmet.
The "spinal hyper-flexion" is what he died from; but it was caused by a number of other factors that were of his own doing, and not by NASCAR rules.

I think you are missing the point. That being that when the body is held in place and additional weight (a crash helmet) is added to the head it sets up ideal conditions for that type of fatal injury. And that is the exact situation that requiring someone to wear a brain bucket in an Elio (or any other car) sets up in case of a accident. It makes the person much more susceptible to a basilar skull fracture. Exactly what killed Dale Earnhardt.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently this has been going on since 2009.
Having read about the law I'm not sure the Elio community, as a group, should be too upset. The pertinent part is included below......
[A]ny person who is twenty-one years of age or older may operate or ride as a passenger on any motorcycle or motortricycle without protective headgear upon any highway of this state, except for an interstate highway…
Notice MOTORTRICYCLE.
Sounds like we would be excluded from using interstates in Missouri without a brain bucket.
Not good for residents , not good for travelers.
Info extracted from ---> https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=7132 <---
It sounds as if Missouri could use a good Auto cycle definition law. Let's hope Joel Sheltrown is on top of this.

Top Bottom