• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mitsubishi Plant For Sale: Why Not Build There And Have Them Invest

toxotes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Illinois, the LAST place on earth to go and start-up a successful business. ???????????

The corruption level is probably nill in Bloomington / Normal. Ya' really need to to come to Cook County once you pay off the politicians life is pretty easy.........if you can dodge jail.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe the real question is why did they shut down US operations? Where did they move them to?

as to why, this was taken from the link in the opening post in this thread, "Citing a decline in exports of the Normal-built Outlander Sport to Russia, Mitsubishi Motors will end U.S. production but hopes to find a buyer for the local plant, the company announced Friday."

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mitsubishi is industrial, world-spanning giant.

A company as talented and deep as Mitsubishi could whip an Elio in no time.

Why don't they?

My guess (I-ass-u-me) is, they thought..."Hmm, we can build a car anywhere...what are we doing in Illinios? The answer was obvious.:bolt:

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the real question is why did they shut down US operations? Where did they move them to?

nope. the question is why no big mfr is doing their own Elio. An Elio would be child's play for a Mitsubishi. Build it anywhere cheapest, and ship to markets world-wide.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
nope. the question is why no big mfr is doing their own Elio. An Elio would be child's play for a Mitsubishi. Build it anywhere cheapest, and ship to markets world-wide.
Making sense has never been a big point with any large car company; why did they doom the Tucker? It had so many improvements that it make all other cars of the time look like death traps. So rather than compete with it, they sank the company.
Did that make sense? They had a chance to improve and they didn't want it.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
it has been pointed out many times that any automotive or motorcycle manufacture could produce an Elio type trike .... the most commonly held reason for them not being willing to do so is they can't and make sufficient profit to fit their business plan with their corporate and marketing structure .... EM his addressing this at every level along the way in both manufacturing and sales

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
as to why, this was taken from the link in the opening post in this thread, "Citing a decline in exports of the Normal-built Outlander Sport to Russia, Mitsubishi Motors will end U.S. production but hopes to find a buyer for the local plant, the company announced Friday."
Perhaps they were improved over earlier models; however, I found the Outlander underwhelming compared to similar models from competitors. Not surprising from my perspective.

Top Bottom