• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mitsubishi Plant For Sale: Why Not Build There And Have Them Invest

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So you're saying Illinois workers don't want to work for minimum wage so business owners can be multi millionaires, is that correct?

I feel bad for the folks who have lost their jobs at Mitsubishi Plant.
I've been through the "surplus" process.
Now they can make the hard decision to pull up stakes and go where jobs are or stay where they are and maybe lose everything.
Oh, and incidentally, they may have to take pay cuts. Just another hard decision.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So you're saying Illinois workers don't want to work for minimum wage so business owners can be multi millionaires, is that correct?
Not my point AT ALL! I believe in an open market - labor wise, where-in, you - the worker, determine your own worth. I've never been in a union - never wanted/needed to be. That said, I respect those who are members on unions (one of my son-in-laws is a steelworker). I truly get where you are coming from with the great divide in wages/ CEO salaries. Unfortunately, it just keeps getting worse and further apart. The AVERAGE CEO of a Fortune 500 Corp. makes up to 200 times the average employee's wages.
I guess my point about Illinois is, it's a TOTAL mess - top to bottom - and yes, Cook County (Chicago) politics (much like Plunkett of Tammany Hall) is the main culprit IMHO. You may disagree - but I'm still thankful I don't live/work in that state.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I feel bad for the folks who have lost their jobs at Mitsubishi Plant.
I've been through the "surplus" process.
Now they can make the hard decision to pull up stakes and go where jobs are or stay where they are and maybe lose everything.
Oh, and incidentally, they may have to take pay cuts. Just another hard decision.

Elio's potential labor pool of experienced auto workers just got bigger...............

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You just feel like most Mitsubishi stuff is just crap.

3.0 L v6 supplied to Chrysler in the 90's for Dynasty and Caravan...crap. Why ? cause the valve seats were defective.

Mitsubishi Colts ? Crap ... why ? cause they were underpowered rust buckets that corroded quickly.

Lancer ... crap.

Outlander ... crap.

Look they make decent construction equipment and electronics...but their auto division mailed it in a long time ago.

and I blame the engineers and corporate hierarchy yet again for sceewing Joe worker.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mitsubishi is industrial, world-spanning giant.
A company as talented and deep as Mitsubishi could whip an Elio in no time.
Why don't they?

Like any behemoth, they've cranked their operation down to a very well controlled machine, dedicated to optimal profit. As such they don't make a move without material operational data. The data also has to indicate the sustainability into the future. They want trends data. None of that data exists yet for an Elio type vehicle. After two years even then they would re-think twice before taking such a risk. And then it would take a year minimum to get a product out there.

And they don't want such a product to even exist. It undermines all other profit margins. They want it dead and gone.

There is only one business case that could make it happen faster, if at all. The idea of a model that brings people in to see it, but then sell another more profitable model. Still, the base attributes of the Elio, does not translate very easily into an alternative sale.

True someone with vision and balls could muster a battle for such a move in a major manufacturer, but I've seen very little evidence of that person. All the major players are hoping for an EM fail, and doing what they can to see that happen. Our major protection for EM at this point, they don't believe a success is imminent, not yet anyway.

The most likely move they will make is to position them selves for optimal profit in the new market activity post Elio.

Now the Chinese can be different from that mindset. They often will make a 'executive decision' and go for it. But the commitment to consumer confidence required would scare them off for exports. And for domestic sales, the Chinese are not thinking pragmatically in their domestic product lines at this point.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: The most likely move they will make is to position them selves for optimal profit in the new market activity post Elio.

$2,400 Cafe Credit per unit is a substantial motivator. Once Bill S.685 becomes real plans will activate
to cash in on this largess while it lasts. Hopefully Elio will be first in line to take advantage...........

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$2,400 Cafe Credit per unit is a substantial motivator. Once Bill S.685 becomes real plans will activate
to cash in on this largess while it lasts. Hopefully Elio will be first in line to take advantage...........
Yes, that is the wild herring in this. There could always be another.

You build your house, then discover liquefaction. Go figure!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The states sentiments estimates don't look too good for S685 (Link)
Supporting
10Opposing
17% 83%

What could be wrong with it in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, New York, South Carolina, Florida and Texas ?? Someone needs to talk to their congressmen or senators!

OK, I see what their contention is. VERY political! If the basic Automobile was this way, Ohio would have cars and roads half the width of cars in Texas! How stupid is that?

Example: I oppose H.R. 2892 The Autocycle Safety Act. This is an issue for the states.

And the pro side..

I support H.R. 2892 The Autocycle Safety Act because...I think a vehicle that has three wheels instead of four can still be categorized as an automobile or at least an "autocycle" if it has the components of and an enclosed body of a car. We need more economical transportation without having to resort to a motorcycle which are dangerous. Please don't let the oil companies sway your decision to approve this bill. Thank you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom