• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Morphic Studies

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What about making the bubble top, flip over to one side -- like the Messerschmitt KR200??
Well, it's a thought.
It worked on my Atlantric design because that provided two main attributes, a relatively straight line along the 'hinge' and some empty space for the top to roll into. This one only has those two when you place the hinge breakline at the top of the fender along the receding profile.

So, yeah, that is a thought. It would be a very heavy top. But given the shape of the windshield, it would have to remain attached too, making for a super heavy clamb-shell. And you still have a very high fender to step over.
The Atlantric also had smaller wheels and lower fenders which aliviated part of that issue.

I will probably opt for a swing up door, but maybe with a dual arm to lower the stress and overall weight. And then part of the fender could swing up with it for a lower cill to step over. And best too for the driver seat to slide back and turn 90 degrees. Hmmm, doesn't sound fun.

So maybe this says to 'kiss' properly, just clip the fenders back and put the batteries elsewhere. Yeah, still thinking.

So the CZinger variation in #142 above is still the more technically feasable with butterfly doors and clawing your way to get out. OR post #149 above (2nd picture) where there is no battery on the side, and so the driver seat could simply pan toward the open door.

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible to attach part of the body to the bubble top?? I know it will be heavy, maybe some pre-loaded springs (like newer style garage doors) would work to assist the driver in opening the bubble top/door combo. I imagine you could adjust the pre-load on the spring until the effort to lift the bubble top/door combo is minimal.
The driver and/or passenger can just get in, reach up (grab strap) and pull the bubble top closed.
You could keep the opposite side "clean" -- all one piece.
As far as the battery, what about a lithium battery. They make a lithium battery for my motorcycle which is much smaller and lighter than the original. I'm too cheap to buy one, but they may be an option for your design.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well,
the best solution for the design in #142 is a swing up door. Which implies a luxury style and price point.
the best solution for the design in #149 is a 45degree butterfly door. Which is cheaper and lighter.
So in #150, I'm trying to accomidate a full aerodynamic form. But not be too expensive or be too heavy which would offset the intent to be efficient.
The lightest structure/hinge combo I can think of is a bit complex, a 4 link system supporting a clamshell hatch, but nothing is expensive about it.
Below is one with a similar problem to #150. The difference would be taking more bite out of the fenders, and I think maybe not attaching the windshield to the hatch. Although it's hard to seal along the top of the window in bad weather.
So maybe it's best to be like the system below, but more bite out of the fenders.
1671556509964.png

So the cons include:
-the seats get wet when the hatch is open in bad weather
-very large structure with remes of seal area.
-left and right links need a common shaft or some mechanism to stay in sync.
-need indexers(or guide slots etc) to keep hatch from moving and sqeaking on bumpy roads
But the pros include:
-It's easy for the people to use height to better egress or ingress,
-the driver chair could pop up a few inches and swivel
-egress could be both left or right.
-hinges do not need excessive structural strength
-hatch doubles as access to luggage area or batteries

The XR3 had simiar issues with thier sociable seater, while using a single hinge system.

1671558320551.png

Last edited:

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the Riley XR3 is made from plans. I believe one could adapt those plans. I have seen a video of a man who adapted those plans to have traditional doors (actually lambo style doors) instead of a canopy that lifts like in the plans. XR3 Car Build Completed - YouTube (there were other videos of him building it).

It is a shame one cannot get the XR3 plans anymore since their site is gone. RQRiley.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is another good one from plans that I don't remember being listed on this site. Unfortunately, the plans are now gone:

I kept up with this one for a long time (starting early to mid-90s) on Yahoo forums, believe it or not. Fairly recently a Facebook group was created when the Yahoo groups finally went down. The price for the plans kept increasing and I held off for a long time. A couple of years ago I decided to go ahead and buy them because I was worried they would become unavailable, and I just saw that has finally happened.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I think I have a final design I'm willing to do for this investgation of a CZinger clone.
In this, the driver does have enough room, and if there is a landing for the foot inside, he can easilly step out.

It opens very wide, so some reduction of the forward arms is possile.

Nobody would make a normal production car like this, but a Kit or a sport edition might do it.
CZinger.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have desided to make/post more style investigation results into YouTube. This involved taking a current car, or a morphed image and turning that into a 3d model. Then exporting that to a video. You have all had to put up with that from me before.

The only difference now is that I'm posting that to Youtube, and I'm going to draw on a huge back log of image snaps to draw on. I also leverage 3d's from the 3dWarehouse in sketchup.

These are sometimes very sketchy and controversial. But the very act generates innovation and sometimes surprising results. I consider that a form of fun.

I will try and post some of that here, while any interest remains.

Hey! it's better than mindless TV or going to the bar! (I absolutely do not drink or enjoy seeing others doing too much of that)

So, introducing a more controversial one:

1688582854744.png
1688582972995.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would think a cabin "section" that would just slide forward revealing conventional doors would work. Utilize the "wing" for rails to move the cabin section forward, some stepper motors just push the nose out.
You know, the other solution that solar racers have used is to put the driver inline with the front wheel, and go full 4 wheeler. I'm not all that enthusiastic about pushing so much weight to the one side. But it does give good access to a door.

But I just thought, the battery pack could be shuffled to one side. So, also, if a passenger seat were behind the other wheel, when no passenger was there, and if the pack were in the wing, then the pack could be swung (motorized) over to balance things out. And in ths case the wing would best be lowered, and then the front wheel coverage would have to be wider since that can not turn with the wheel anymore.....hmm or can it?..
(and if the pack location is already motorized, why not shift it over while in a turn?) I will think about all of that.

Meanwhile, how about this morph of a 918? (Edited: reposted with improved graphics)
1688972168392.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom