• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Morphic Studies

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lastest installment to explore Michelin Active Wheels...

What is special here, is that it's got the Michelin Active Wheel, which is a motor/suspension all mostly inside the wheel. That means the wheel cover can be very small and full coverage, so long as it turns with the wheel frame. Very good for aerodynamic integrity (my meaning here is 'full encapsolation' ).

The Edison2 also had a suspension in wheel design, but only for the rear wheels on a 4 wheeler.

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Edison2 also had a suspension in wheel design, but only for the rear wheels on a 4 wheeler.

1940s or 50s triumph motorcycles had an 'in wheel' rear suspension, called a sprung hub, apparently copied from a WW2 aircraft.

Simple design, but awful in practice.

1699804549931.png

1699804647019.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1940s or 50s triumph motorcycles had an 'in wheel' rear suspension, called a sprung hub, apparently copied from a WW2 aircraft.

Simple design, but awful in practice.
That one at least doesn't have the weight of the motor unsprung unlike Michelin's design.
There must be some design that would be better than either of those two.
I'll give that a think or two.....

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would be quite the thing as an open trike.
It would be easy enough to show that. Obviously it could be the more compressed version in that case.
But which was better format, the 3 wheeler the 4, or a mix? And do I leave the tail wing on?

I would guess, the winning combination would be 3, to stay legal for an open top with plastic windscreen, and keep the tail wings.
I will show that next.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be easy enough to show that. Obviously it could be the more compressed version in that case.
But which was better format, the 3 wheeler the 4, or a mix? And do I leave the tail wing on?

I would guess, the winning combination would be 3, to stay legal for an open top with plastic windscreen, and keep the tail wings.
I will show that next.

3 wheeler, that's why we are here ..

Tail wings, I would lower the angle down, and shorten them a bit so they were more like tail light stalks, and less aero components.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3 wheeler, that's why we are here ..

Tail wings, I would lower the angle down, and shorten them a bit so they were more like tail light stalks, and less aero components.
OK, I gave it a go. I also added a rumble seat door. I realized that if the back seat folded down, it would all fit behind a folding/removable door.
I don't know if this was noticed, but the reason the body has a V shape, is that the upper part of the body above the hips, slides forward for driver entry. The whole dang front uppper, slides forward 4 feet, maybe lifts a little too. And the angle allows the edge seal to release. A few licks of latches and it can come off exposing that front compartment area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom