• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Etiquette

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK. Here's the set-up. I live on very curvy back-country roads. I was driving today, and like I always do around some of the curves, I drift into the other lane, crossing the double yellow line, making the curve not as severe. I only do this when I can clearly see a great distance in the oncoming lane. So today, I saw down the road two motorcycles followed by a car, coming down the road towards me. They were way down the road. Like I normally do, I drifted into the lane, then drifted back into my lane with PLENTY of space before we passed each other. The guy on the bike was FREAKING out screaming at me like I tried to run him off the road.
Was I in the wrong? I felt really bad that I upset him so much, but it didn't seem like that big a deal to me.
Thoughts?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
apparently your PLENTY of space was insufficient space to him .... bottom line, no panic stops, no close calls, no ticket, no harm, no foul

Jim

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you were wrong!! and it is a big deal!!
In Florida, and perhaps in VA?? crossing a double yellow line is a (very) moving violation.
I'll take a wild guess and go with- you don't drive bikes, because if you did you'd be that guy yelling, and wouldn't be asking
Also, have ya watched any formula racing?, you come into the turn as tight and low as possible so your "drift" keeps you on line when "making the curve not as severe" exiting and also makes it the shortest distance
Try this, slow down enough going into the turn, so you would have no need to "making the curve"
I know from following your posts, you didn't do this to "stir the pot" but on this occasion, you are off base.
Just posting it says you know you were in the wrong, because if you didn't you wouldn't be posting it

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK. Here's the set-up. I live on very curvy back-country roads. I was driving today, and like I always do around some of the curves, I drift into the other lane, crossing the double yellow line, making the curve not as severe. I only do this when I can clearly see a great distance in the oncoming lane. So today, I saw down the road two motorcycles followed by a car, coming down the road towards me. They were way down the road. Like I normally do, I drifted into the lane, then drifted back into my lane with PLENTY of space before we passed each other. The guy on the bike was FREAKING out screaming at me like I tried to run him off the road.
Was I in the wrong? I felt really bad that I upset him so much, but it didn't seem like that big a deal to me.
Thoughts?
Of course, crossing a double line is wrong but I think what you mean to ask is "was it bad?" As a motorcycle rider, I can tell you that absolutely it was bad. When you aren't sure if the oncoming traffic is drunk, asleep, texting, or just a bad driver (crossing double yellow lines qualifies you as a bad driver -sorry), the evasive moves you need to make can severely alter your intended route of travel and can result in death. It isn't fun. When I'm turning left into a parking lot and the guy stopped and waiting to enter the driveway, often, they start rolling out to turn right (in my travel direction) after I pass. Even though I know their intention is to pass behind me as I go by, I worry that he'll misjudged how much I'm slowing to make the turn and catch my rear tire. All it takes is a little tap to put me on the ground and my head near his rear tires... not fun. I have no problems with Formula One driving to straighten the curves but stay in your lane. It's easy to say "I knew I had plenty of room" but most accident explanations start with "I didn't even see him"... Drive like someone may surprise you... use turn signals even when "no one is around" and we'll all make it home alive.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well OK then. I'm seeing a pretty distinct pattern. I still say I did nothing dangerous as there was never anything close, but I will take these comments to heart.
Thanks all.

As a motorcyclist and motorist I hope you change your behavior. Aside from being illeagle and disturbing the on coming traffic you also increase the reality of killing yourself and others if you happen to miss judge or even miss seeing the oncoming traffic.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well OK then. I'm seeing a pretty distinct pattern. I still say I did nothing dangerous as there was never anything close, but I will take these comments to heart.
Thanks all.
Not close?? like hand granades ???
I'm sorry you think you didn't do-"nothing dangerous", don't take it heart take it to mind- you still don't get it!!

roadtrippin2016

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thoughts?
Evidently, this was a newbie cyclist that just recently graduated from cycle training school...in other words what you did was NOT acceptable in the class he took and you were the guy the trainer warned him about....just be careful...I've been riding scooters and motorcycles since I was 15 years old and what you did would not have freaked me out...you would have got a thumb's up when I passed by...especially if you was riding with your true love on Valentine's Day !

Top Bottom