• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Etiquette

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well OK then. I'm seeing a pretty distinct pattern. I still say I did nothing dangerous as there was never anything close, but I will take these comments to heart.
Thanks all.
Late to the party, but I'd add a point I haven't seen mentioned, and something non-riders wouldn't be aware of. FWIW, I've been riding 44 years, now, and put 35k miles on the H-D last year.

A motorcyclist leans the bike to round a curve - lots of physics involved, but suffice to say it's not about turning the handlebars (google counter-steering, you actually push on the right hand grip to turn right, NOT pull, that's why they call it counter-steering).

Another fact of physics is that if you hit the brakes, your bike straightens up - i.e., you lose your lean and your bike is no longer turning through the curve but following a straight(er) line, instead.

Add the 2 together - he hits the brakes and loses his lean - and the motorcyclist is now heading for the double yellow that you are crossing. An earlier poster said braking in a curve is a no, no - this is why.

An experienced rider will likely handle that, a less than experienced rider might have a pucker moment. But recognize that even the experienced rider, knowing the physics and the bike's reactions involved, might judge "sufficient distance" considerably differently than you. As another bit of trivia, according to Kelly Blue Book, the average motorcycle is ridden fewer than 3,500 miles per year - so one could extrapolate and say the vast majority of riders fall into the "less than experienced" category.

Hopefully this gives you some insight into the rider's reaction.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just food for thought;
Over 40% of all fatal motorcycle accidents occur when another driver is turning left and a cyclist is not. Almost half of all fatal motorcycle accidents don't involve another vehicle and of those 48% are speeding and 42% are DUI.
Just because you own a pair of Chaps and a Doo Rag doesn't mean you're a rider, you need knowledge, skills and common sense. Any experienced rider knows that braking in a corner is the one thing you never do, it will almost always end up badly. So, the common sense rule is that you corner slow enough to take evasive action, using your knowledge and skill, when necessary, there could be anything on your side of the road from a skunk to to an 18 wheeler and when you are on 2 wheels, you lose.
Not that I'm any shining example, but because I know that my skill set declines with age
and I have a keen sense of self preservation, I need to practice the skills necessary to survive. You don't have to take my word for this just ask any professional rider, racer or Motorcycle Cop and they will tell you. We know a retired Patrolman who has logged over a MILLION miles in the line of duty and he practices his skills every day! He recommends "Ride like a Pro" by Jerry Palladino to learn and evaluate your own abilities. The wife and I spend a good 10% of our riding time practicing on an empty parking lot, most times before we set out on a ride. We want to ride again tomorrow.

Oh, btw, similar to Ks6c, I've ridden and owned since the early 60's, Linda got her bike and license 6 months ago.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
50 yrs of riding and I never had the trust in anyone to be a passenger. These days the imports' rear seat is way up in the air, which to me raises the CoG, and makes it more difficult to compensate for passenger movement

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
50 yrs of riding and I never had the trust in anyone to be a passenger. These days the imports' rear seat is way up in the air, which to me raises the CoG, and makes it more difficult to compensate for passenger movement

Yeah...I see what you mean about import seats being higher. This configuration would definitely raise the CoG.

fatass.jpg

Sorry Guys! :rolleyes: Don't expect this will be here in the morning. :D

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it's not a family shot, I have not a clue how you-all get these things in such a timely manner thanks

Wife's put on a few pounds since that pic! ;)

Actually, it's easy! Somebody [you in this case] says something legitimate and on topic, my twisted brain gives me a funny/sick image that may, or may not have anything to do with the topic, open new Bing window, type what I was thinking, 'click' Bing Images, 'save' the first image that "fits the bill", post ridiculous reply....ta-daa! :D Of course my computer's filled with strange/disturbing photos that require purging every so often. :rolleyes:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On a modern sports bike, I think the "head in the clouds" passenger seating arrangement is dangerous!

My '91 Honda CB 750 Nighthawk is more like a classic British style, with a proper dual person saddle, all on the same level.

NSTG8R, Thanks for the photo...... Glad I've had my lunch though....is there a "feeling queasy" smiley?
great bike- didn't have 4 (four) cylinders horizontally ? and only 750ccs?

Top Bottom