• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Etiquette

roadtrippin2016

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
OK. Here's the set-up. I live on very curvy back-country roads. I was driving today, and like I always do around some of the curves, I drift into the other lane, crossing the double yellow line, making the curve not as severe. I only do this when I can clearly see a great distance in the oncoming lane. So today, I saw down the road two motorcycles followed by a car, coming down the road towards me. They were way down the road. Like I normally do, I drifted into the lane, then drifted back into my lane with PLENTY of space before we passed each other. The guy on the bike was FREAKING out screaming at me like I tried to run him off the road.
Was I in the wrong? I felt really bad that I upset him so much, but it didn't seem like that big a deal to me.
Thoughts?
This is my second response to this posting...noticed that you have liked a few of my past posts...I want to say thanks and keep on reading mine because mostly I enjoy also in being a person of "encouragement"...by the way check out my posting on the third rear wheel findings when you're traveling down the road in your Elio...very interesting about the need to swerve out of your lane...just sayin'

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is my second response to this posting...noticed that you have liked a few of my past posts...I want to say thanks and keep on reading mine because mostly I enjoy also in being a person of "encouragement"...by the way check out my posting on the third rear wheel findings when you're traveling down the road in your Elio...very interesting about the need to swerve out of your lane...just sayin'
Nice!

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Crossing any unbroken line in the center of the road here in UK, apart for a few specific reasons, such as passing a stationary vehicle or to take a side turn on the other side of the road, is liable to get you a $100 fine and three points on your licence. Getting points means more expensive insurance and twelve means a driving ban.

Some years ago a good friend of mine got caught clipping the first part of a single unbroken line with one front wheel (!) after an overtake of a slow driver and got prosecuted; but more than anything, the policeman was probably jealous of him being in his late teens but being able to afford a Triumph TR6 sports car (although he had truly earned it, working on an oil rig for almost two years).

I remember being on my Honda 750 and overtaking a car on a wide country road, after a bend, on a straight (not across an unbroken line). The driver of an oncoming car, a few hundred yards away had a similar crazy reaction to the one you encountered; headlights flashing, horn blaring, fist shaking, mouthing off. However, by then I had been well and truly back on my own side of the road for quite a distance and the oncoming car was so far away I had time to take one hand off the handlebars, stand up on the footrests and give her a friendly wave. There was no danger to anyone, nor did I break any rules. My reaction probably completely freaked her out.
Just like in all existence, there are good ones and bad. Here, there are some pretty obnoxious and dangerous people traveling on everything from two feet to two wheels, four wheels and eighteen wheels. And they all pretty much think they are right.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Evidently, this was a newbie cyclist that just recently graduated from cycle training school...in other words what you did was NOT acceptable in the class he took and you were the guy the trainer warned him about....just be careful...I've been riding scooters and motorcycles since I was 15 years old and what you did would not have freaked me out...you would have got a thumb's up when I passed by...especially if you was riding with your true love on Valentine's Day !

Umm... why do you think they were a newbie? I'll accept that a "newbie" may have been taught that crossing a double yellow line, or simply failing to stay in your lane was unacceptable in a class but it is also unacceptable independent of the class. It is illegal and adds unnecessary risk to other road way users.

Now screaming and reacting with what may be considered road rage is probably as egregious as the act of endangering others by drifting out of your lane and ignoring the legal restrictions associated with a double yellow line and as such I would have a hard time condoning the riders reaction when he encountered the situation.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can't put your life in the hands of others when driving period. Most MC. accidents ( drivers who make it over the age of 25 ) are either road hazard or the guy who didn't see, or know you were there. (Under 25 G*d works his miracles and thins the heard). People don't always react "rationally" when confronted by, and the need to make driving decisions.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am guilty of freaking out in such cases. Last time it happened , just last fall, a little truck pasing a car on Tellico parkway. I could see it off in the distance. I pulled over and stopped before they got anywhere near. When they went by me both vehicles was on their side of the road.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got to admit, in a concerted effort to conserve both tires and suspension, I use as much of the road as possible to negotiate turns and occasionally find myself over the line.
Like you Comtrex, I don't even consider that maneuver when there is any limited visibility at all. On the other side of this discussion, I have always ridden my motorcycles under the assumption that around every curve may be somebody like me coming the other direction.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our roads are overpopulated by drivers without a clue who don't see or reason beyond their own hood ornament. Anyone who can't safely handle their own vehicle under all possible traffic situations is an absolute idiot. That being said, those of us who ride two wheels must be doubly vigilant and always govern accordingly.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Different view point

I always stay in my lane and don't even let may body extend over the center line.

But:

The painted center lines have a smoother texture than the rest of the asphalt. The center lines are more slick and provide less traction. It is dangerous to you to be on the center lines while leaning over in a curve. There is the danger that you will lose traction, slide out, and crash.

Top Bottom