• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Etiquette

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wife's put on a few pounds since that pic! ;)

Actually, it's easy! Somebody [you in this case] says something legitimate and on topic, my twisted brain gives me a funny/sick image that may, or may not have anything to do with the topic, open new Bing window, type what I was thinking, 'click' Bing Images, 'save' the first image that "fits the bill", post ridiculous reply....ta-daa! :D Of course my computer's filled with strange/disturbing photos that require purging every so often. :rolleyes:

NSTG8R, you are a sick man!.........Knew there was a reason I like you! :D

Last edited:

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have always carved the corners by using all the pavement when I can- shortest distance between two points. Years ago a friend got to work late and told us that a police officer had informed him that the strip of pavement between the two yellow lines is not a motorcycle passing lane. Isn't that why bikes have loud pipes? The elio design will take a little practice to carve the corners- just don't try it in the bike lane.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One more note on the original topic is the geometry the bike actually takes through the turn...
Allow me to illustrate (crudely):

You mentioned that you cut the corner slightly to reduce the severity of the turn.
ynWcHYv.png

(I know this illustration is bad but I closed the program before noticing and am not doing it again)

The thing is, the bike does the exact same thing on (nearly) every turn because motorcycles can't turn as tightly as cars can.
The difference is that they typically do this within their own lane.
To accomplish this, the rider moves to the outside of the lane before the turn and cuts through it, arriving at the outside at the exit to reduce the severity of the angle and how much they have to slow.
oMsF6R0.png

Wait, something looks a little strange about that angle though, right?
That's because it's making the assumption that you can start turning AT the turn - which you can't - bikes just don't work that way.
The turn is really going to look more like this:
ut8UXiE.png

With the positioning starting a good deal before the turn itself.
So the rider is judging how much they have to slow down based on the assumption that there will be no breaking during the turn (as others have explained) while simultaneously placing themselves at the outside of the lane.

When you come through the turn from the other direction, cutting over the line - you may prevent them from safely getting into that position and force them into the turn at a more extreme angle, which is a problem because they've already judged their speed based on the other one. If they try to make the same turn from farther in, they'll clip the curb. If they can't slow enough and try to take it later, it will put them into the oncoming lane on the far side of the turn (and there's nothing they can really do about it). All of a sudden they're in the wrong place going the wrong speed because someone coming in the other direction is illegally in their lane.

Wouldn't you be a bit irritated?

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also late to the party, but the disconcerting thing for me (as the rider) is that I have NO IDEA why you are crossing the lines! Are you texting, are you looking at the pretty squirrel on the road side, have you had a heart attack ?????? The rider does not know you are just driving lazy and will return to your alloted lane in a timely manner. We have to react to the worst possiablity and right NOW , we must assume you are going to continue into our path and react. Don't forget ,you are not the only one on the road, and the "body language" of your car sends signals to oncoming traffic. I don't mean to throw rocks, but to point out that even thou you know everything will be "all right" no one else involved does.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just trying to put into perspective my previous posts on topic.
As stated initially, I occasionally use opposing lanes to ease stress on the suspension and tires of a 4 wheeled vehicle, I do so only, I repeat, ONLY when visibility allows me to see all the way around the corner and well into the distance beyond. I also ride 2 wheel vehicles,
So I'm acutely aware of the safety issues involved there, all of them. I drive on public roads with the same intensity, concentration and control of my vehicle that I did when I raced on a track. I ride my motorcycle with that same mindset.
I take the responsibility of driving with the utmost respect.
Am I a lazy driver, absolutely not. Am I the perfect driver, never, which is why
I take it so seriously.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I get older , my riding style has softened . Experience and even more experience has shown me that aggressive riding is not worth the risk . I've only laid down once while I was a young Harley rider . Not so bad on young me , but the bike was mangled . I think the opposite would happen if I dragged my knee into a blind turn with sand on the road .

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As I get older , my riding style has softened . Experience and even more experience has shown me that aggressive riding is not worth the risk . I've only laid down once while I was a young Harley rider . Not so bad on young me , but the bike was mangled . I think the opposite would happen if I dragged my knee into a blind turn with sand on the road .

what's the old saying, there are old motorcycle riders, there are bold motorcycle rider, there are no old, bold motorcycle riders .... I really enjoyed riding my bikes but for me those days are history .... saying right up front, an Elio ain't no Harley, for that matter it ain't no Honda .... its the closest that I believe that I can come at this point in my life .... needless to say, I'm looking forward to it

Top Bottom