• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Parking

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also have seen postings here stating that the span between the front wheels is nearly the same as the average car?

TRIVIA: Does anyone know what the distance between the front wheels of the automobile is based on?
I think I heard Gerome once say the dimensions are based a lot on the 3 series BMW.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this helpful?
image.jpg

Kewaneh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Most motorcyclists understand that a three-wheeled vehicle is a motorcycle. I look at Spyder riders as motorcyclists. Even T-Rex and Sparrow pilots get a nod, although the enclosed cockpit blurs the lines a bit. I personally wouldn't be offended by seeing any of them in a dedicated motorcycle stall.

While the Elio (and T-Rex) is technically a motorcycle, getting it into some dedicated motorcycle stalls and/or parking areas may be difficult due to the size of the vehicle, and the geometry of the stalls and lots. Many motorcycle parking areas are delineated by bollards or fencing with narrow openings and stalls. I think most Elio drivers who are not motorcyclists to start with, probably won't consider the dedicated motorcycle stalls an option anyway.

Other drivers just don't care.
IMAG1401-L.jpg

Durk Jenkins

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My thought on parking is if you can walk, without disability, park as far away from those front spaces as you can and walk, jog, or run while still possible.
I could not agree more. Everybody needs to be closer to the entrance, not me I park far away to prevent getting door dings. Even when I go to the gym their parked close to the door, what?? We are there for exercise park far away. Also walk while you can some day you might not be able to.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most motorcyclists understand that a three-wheeled vehicle is a motorcycle. I look at Spyder riders as motorcyclists. Even T-Rex and Sparrow pilots get a nod, although the enclosed cockpit blurs the lines a bit. I personally wouldn't be offended by seeing any of them in a dedicated motorcycle stall.

While the Elio (and T-Rex) is technically a motorcycle, getting it into some dedicated motorcycle stalls and/or parking areas may be difficult due to the size of the vehicle, and the geometry of the stalls and lots. Many motorcycle parking areas are delineated by bollards or fencing with narrow openings and stalls. I think most Elio drivers who are not motorcyclists to start with, probably won't consider the dedicated motorcycle stalls an option anyway.

IMAG1401-L.jpg
That's like finding huge trucks or suvs parked in "compact only" spaces. What are they thinking! Obviously they aren't. :-) Z

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cars? Who knows. Railroads though we're designed to the width of a team of horses.

Standard railroad track width, at least int he early days, was based on the wheel width of a Roman legionary chariot when Caesar was bopping' all over the Roman Empire. I don't think automobiles have the same paradigm behind them; now it's only governed by lane width requirements, plus, of course, handling requirements and cost of manufacturing.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score

IMAG1401-L.jpg

Im a motorcyclist and I would look at a three wheel machine parked in a mc only spot with only slighter disdain than a normal car parking there.

I can give you that there is some affinity between mc and three wheel vehicles but that doesnt mean that three wheel vehicles should park in spaces specially designed for two wheel machines. These spaces are often constructed with materals the can withstand kickstands being placed on them which is something a three wheel machine does not need. By congragating two wheel vehicles in one place it maximizes space usage. Three wheel vehicles will take up almost as much space as a small car and as such would limit the effectiveness of space usage. Parking two wheel vehicles together provides additional safety for the smaller two wheel vehicles and releaves some of the frustration other drivers experience when they race to a spot that looks open but actually has a mc in it.

Top Bottom