• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Vs. Car

ctfink

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
DSC05872.JPG
GOD Bless ya 'Z' You have inspired me & I will now probably get 3 Elios & start that retirement biz. Call it 'ELIMO'. I don't usually quote some one like Kathy Lee Gifford but she said something once that stuck me; "Find something you really, really luv to do & figure out how to get paid for it" !
Zelio, your chariot awaits !
-ctf(tommy)

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
touche' taz! I retired in 2004, sat & got fat for 2 yrs & then began to capitalize on my talents that existed. Morale of story is (my guess) don't sit around & watch that river flow. Be the SALMON & head upstream against the current. It put a coupla inches on my biceps & an additional $6,800 bucks in the account earning interest for 14 more months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait the turn the HD route in Wisc into the Elio Adventure Tour(E.A.T). .

Could ya/would ya please explain this line in your post. 'HD route in Wisc', as my Bike riding bucket list is about empty' this may be an 'Adventure' I was not aware of.
I have recently acquired a 5 Gallon bucket for my 'Elio bucket list', the previous 2 gal. bucket would not hold all the trips I have planed for me and my New Elio Adventures.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 1836 GOD Bless ya 'Z' You have inspired me & I will now probably get 3 Elios & start that retirement biz. Call it 'ELIMO'. I don't usually quote some one like Kathy Lee Gifford but she said something once that stuck me; "Find something you really, really luv to do & figure out how to get paid for it" !
Zelio, your chariot awaits !
-ctf(tommy)
Ahh, but will you let me drive that chariot. I didn't even try the back seat on Friday because Zelio is going to be my Elio and I probably won't let anyone else drive it unless I am half dead. LOL :-)

Another great picture. Do you think I would look younger if I shaved my head? LOL :-) Z

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's a car to me. BUT,
if the Fed calls it a motorcycle and that gets me cheap insurance without the MC license requirement and cheap tags then count me in. If for some reason Iowa decides to require a MC endorsement, I'll probably let my Elio go to the next guy in line.
Why does everyone act like it's SUCH a big deal to get a cycle endorsement? All states I've gotten them in have been easy! Most of the tests were really kind of a joke. There's nothing to be so worried about, they don't make you do wheelies in the parking lot or jump through flaming hoops or even ride in real traffic. You can probably test on any scooter bigger than 50cc in most states, which is still about as easy as it gets.
We have to take classes for hunting, boating, jet-skis, snowmobiles, scuba diving, sky diving, paragliding, hang gliding, AND most of the jobs we do. It seems we need a test and a license for EVERYTHING, including driving a CAR! So what's the big deal?!? If it turns out that we need a cycle endorsement for an Elio, then nut-up and get one!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why does everyone act like it's SUCH a big deal to get a cycle endorsement? All states I've gotten them in have been easy! Most of the tests were really kind of a joke. There's nothing to be so worried about, they don't make you do wheelies in the parking lot or jump through flaming hoops or even ride in real traffic. You can probably test on any scooter bigger than 50cc in most states, which is still about as easy as it gets.
We have to take classes for hunting, boating, jet-skis, snowmobiles, scuba diving, sky diving, paragliding, hang gliding, AND most of the jobs we do. It seems we need a test and a license for EVERYTHING, including driving a CAR! So what's the big deal?!? If it turns out that we need a cycle endorsement for an Elio, then nut-up and get one!
Obviously you are young and fully mobile. :-) Z

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Obviously you are young and fully mobile. :) Z
Hmm Interesting issue. There are certainly handicapped persons who ride motorcycles with some degree of modification or other, and I assume they must have tested on their modified bikes. So they can't reasonably expect you to modify a bike just for the test, and they may be forced to let you test IN an Elio. I don't know your particular level of ability, so I can't really make suggestions on equipment, but I would think they must make some kind of reasonable accomodation. Chech the laws in your state. I'm pretty sure in Texas for example they're going to have to let people test in the Elio since you justride your own bike for the test.
Anyway, I'd hate for someone to give up what they want over some beaurocratic red-tape. Don't let the MAN get you down! Power to the people!

Ausrere

Elio Fan
Reaction score

I've wondering that same thing. It looks like we aren't going to need a m/c endorsement here, but if we did I wouldn't mind getting one. And no, I'm definitely not what I'd call young. :D

Around here you can take a one weekend motorcycle course at several places, and they provide the motorcycle (most will not allow you to use your own for liability reasons) and helmet. You take the classroom there and driving portions are all in a parking lot. Friends who have taken it tell me they didn't even have to take the license test after they passed the course and didn't drive a foot on a roadway. I don't see the big deal either. I'd be throwing a fit if they told me I had to wear a helmet in the Elio though. o_O

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm Interesting issue. There are certainly handicapped persons who ride motorcycles with some degree of modification or other, and I assume they must have tested on their modified bikes. So they can't reasonably expect you to modify a bike just for the test, and they may be forced to let you test IN an Elio. I don't know your particular level of ability, so I can't really make suggestions on equipment, but I would think they must make some kind of reasonable accomodation. Chech the laws in your state. I'm pretty sure in Texas for example they're going to have to let people test in the Elio since you justride your own bike for the test.
Anyway, I'd hate for someone to give up what they want over some beaurocratic red-tape. Don't let the MAN get you down! Power to the people!
It is not an issue for me since the chair of the organization that wrote the best policy document works for the Oregon DMV so our law has already been modified for fully enclosed 3 wheel motorcycles with standard auto safety features. But I am concerned for those who live in states where that is not true. I am sure the VP of Governmental Relations and his staff are doing everything they can to get these issues resolved by the time the Elio is produced. :-) Z

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've wondering that same thing. It looks like we aren't going to need a m/c endorsement here, but if we did I wouldn't mind getting one. And no, I'm definitely not what I'd call young. :D

Around here you can take a one weekend motorcycle course at several places, and they provide the motorcycle (most will not allow you to use your own for liability reasons) and helmet. You take the classroom there and driving portions are all in a parking lot. Friends who have taken it tell me they didn't even have to take the license test after they passed the course and didn't drive a foot on a roadway. I don't see the big deal either. I'd be throwing a fit if they told me I had to wear a helmet in the Elio though. o_O
I had to get an endorsement in TX, and all I had to do is take a written test, which was, shall we say, less than challenging, and then I had to provide my a driver and a vehicle for the official to follow me in on my bike while I rode a couple blocks in a residential area. After not messing up majorly at a blazing 20 mph or falling over when turning, I passed the test. No driving course, or anything. It's EASY. I did take the MSF course once in FL., and it was a blast!, so if you get stuck taking that it's not so bad either.

Top Bottom