• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycles---general

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
virago900px.jpg

650vstar16.jpg

bighammer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The SV650 is a great fun bike, was my first (2006 SV650). Lots of torque for a smaller bike, didn't like the S model, I preferred the naked look and it apparently stuck with me. After a few years I decided to upgrade to my current bike, Triumph Speed Triple!
View attachment 21858
View attachment 21859

Funny you mention it, the salesman I talked to at the open house let me test ride his personal Speed Triple. I first rode a new Kawasaki Z1000, then a V-Rod, then the XR1200, then his Triumph. My wife called me and I had to run, but I took my SV around the same 10 or so mile test loop, just for a comparison. Speed Triple is an awesome machine. Very usable power (plenty of it) and still a pretty nimble feel.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ask all rider be extra careful on the Dalton Highway.
Used to drive it (in a truck), and seen more than a few 2 wheelers in pieces.
I have ridden the Dalton highway once and the Dempster 3 times on my Dualsport bikes. They are a bit treacherous but mostly because people travel too fast. They have improved since my first trip too in 2001. They are slippery when wet and narrow with loose gravel and free range moose and caribou and a few other large mammals. Proper tires and speeds are required for the chance of a safe trip. I saw a few bikes down and riders shipping themselves home with broken legs because they were running too fast most of the time. The dualsport lighter bike is a great way to go. Harley, BMW, Gold Wing, sport bikers, should look for other roads or slow down and enjoy the trip.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That one is on my list too. I have only made it as far East as Winnipeg in Canada, and Denver in the states. I am not sure if there is anything beyond that, but I have "heard" there is life East of Denver and Winnipeg. Some day I will have to see for myself. I have checked all the way from the Arctic Ocean to Cabo San Lucas but so far have stayed within 1500 miles of the Pacific Ocean. I haven't ridden all the roads here yet, so no reason to go looking for more aye? Send pictures or personal favorite roads and areas for Dual Sport Motorcycling if you have some. I am always looking for a good reason to load the saddlebags on the KLR and get out of town. I have heard the KLR is good for about 80,000 miles before you need to rebuild them. I am at 37,000 so far in 4 years so hoping to see if I can wear it out. My 1979 Yamaha XT500 only has 68,000 on it and it needs to be freshened up for more.
861.jpg

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have ridden the Dalton highway once and the Dempster 3 times on my Dualsport bikes. They are a bit treacherous but mostly because people travel too fast. They have improved since my first trip too in 2001. They are slippery when wet and narrow with loose gravel and free range moose and caribou and a few other large mammals. Proper tires and speeds are required for the chance of a safe trip. I saw a few bikes down and riders shipping themselves home with broken legs because they were running too fast most of the time. The dualsport lighter bike is a great way to go. Harley, BMW, Gold Wing, sport bikers, should look for other roads or slow down and enjoy the trip.

Speed, equipment, and attitude help.
Also saw a lot of bicyclists on the Dalton. Had to rescue one from an August Snow storm.
He had no cold weather gear.
"Wasn't expecting snow"
You know you're in Alaska, right?

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speed, equipment, and attitude help.
Also saw a lot of bicyclists on the Dalton. Had to rescue one from an August Snow storm.
He had no cold weather gear.
"Wasn't expecting snow"
You know you're in Alaska, right?
I thought I was pretty adventurous and studly until I saw a 90 lb girl on her bicycle on the Dempster Highway. I am a wimp in comparison.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just thought I would see if there are any out there that recognize this lonesome highway. The All Seeing Eye Sticker and the Iron Butt Association Sticker lets you know I am not 18, but I forget sometimes. Then Came Bronson Wannabe.
Lonesome Highway.jpg

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rode my Honda across America on Rt 20 this spring. Had such a good time I bought a new bike that does everything the old one didn't.
Good on you! Sounds like your old one did pretty well though. I know how you think though, one bike is not nearly enough. I am going to look at another one tomorrow. A 2013 CB500X. It will be a little easier for my short legs to hold up in the dirt. The KLR is a great bike, but even with the suspension lowered with a thinner seat, it is still a stretch for me to reach the ground. At 60 I am looking to make things a little easier and still keep the fun in it. Where are you going with the new bike? You have to get another couple trips in this year don't you?

Top Bottom