• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I voted yes. Definitely yes.

And congrats on the go-carting! I have been anxious to see that, and the video certainly did not disappoint!

I think it has been mentioned elsewhere that shipping and assembly cost is a concern about running up the price. I'm youngish enough to consider the option of a knock-down kit, where it comes to an entry port in the US (hopefully somewhere in lower east coast) partially knocked down, but every single component provided and I come and pick it up that way from a collection point, and finish assembly at home. Not sure if you have considered that as an option for keeping costs down.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if you have considered that as an option for keeping costs down.

A planned option is in place, in fact 'a person of interest' declared their place in the plan an hour ago, and I am quite please about it, solid guy all round who I have known for a number of years. - close to the East Coast as well.

It's not just about building a car, that's the relatively easy part.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A planned option is in place, in fact 'a person of interest' declared their place in the plan an hour ago, and I am quite please about it, solid guy all round who I have known for a number of years. - close to the East Coast as well.

It's not just about building a car, that's the relatively easy part.

If they have to be imported knocked down anyway, I'd certainly consider driving anywhere between Charleston, SC to the East and New Orleans, LA to the West (might consider Houston, TX as well) with my truck and a trailer if the price difference was significant enough.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like fun. Congratulations. I voted no on the poll simply because I want/need an automatic.
No for me too because of no auto trans. I would venture to guess that in the U.S., where I understand 94% of cars are automatics, your sales would be dismal. By not offering an auto you are shooting yourself in the foot before you leave the gate. The U.S. could be a huge market, don't blow it....!!!

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No for me too because of no auto trans. I would venture to guess that in the U.S., where I understand 94% of cars are automatics, your sales would be dismal. By not offering an auto you are shooting yourself in the foot before you leave the gate. The U.S. could be a huge market, don't blow it....!!!
I believe it has been stated that his initial intent is to sell 10, 000 units (I'd consider the first run as Founders Editions). If that's still true, then I don't think he'll have an issue selling 10,000 manual trans units. Then he can take the profits, such as it is, and roll that into funding development of a second run of automatic equipped ones that might cost a bit more. I'm not sure if the car this first one is based off of even has an auto (CVT) trans option. I suspect it doesn't. If it did, he probably would have tried that from the get-go.

It has been a question of mine about sourcing the cars/parts intended for use to build these, but unless he's buying all new components, you are probably looking at specifying a whole new motor/trans combo for an auto equipped one.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see your point. However, consider this. He sells the 10k "Founder's Editions" and say 2,000 go to the U.S.. Now we have 2,000 BEX running the streets and thousands of people asking about them. "Why didn't you buy an automatic?" "It was not available in an automatic." "Oh, well, too bad." And that's that. Now most of the people will only remember that they can't get an automatic and they'll tell other people etc. When the car comes out later with an auto it's too late, the damage is done. Don't try to sell something that has a problem and tell people it's ok, you'll fix that problem later..... that doesn't fly. It really needs to be offered with an automatic option from the start.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The reason 94% of American cars are sold with automatic is because manual transmissions are not generally offered. The last 4 new cars I bought had automatics because I couldn't get a manual transmission!

Even my pick-up only offered manual transmission with 4-banger.

I know the majority of people prefer automatic, but not 94% of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom