• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mark, nice progress. Curious why you didn’t consider a BEX electric from the get go? Fewer parts, fewer parts supplying partners, perhaps making it easier to cross the production finish line, more efficient production scale, and increased market demographics? Perhaps a future EV option?

Firstly I own 3 x EVs currently (wife, daughter, myself), and have had 5 in the last 7 years, so obviously I am an EV fan.

1/ Majority of Elio buyers want gasoline, that hasn't changed.

2/ Majority of Elio buyers want a 4 figure price point.

3/ EV is considerably more expensive to develop and produce, due to cost of inventory held.

4/ EV very difficult to supply in kit form, that many are interested in.

5/ Although majority would be for suburban usage, many have indicated touring or RV addition, EV infrastructure though growing, is not admirable at the moment outside of suburban areas.

EV is planned, but only when, and if, the ICE has properly kicked in and things running smoothly. I eat elephants one bite at a time.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Firstly I own 3 x EVs currently (wife, daughter, myself), and have had 5 in the last 7 years, so obviously I am an EV fan.
3/ EV is considerably more expensive to develop and produce, due to cost of inventory held.
5/ Although majority would be for suburban usage, many have indicated touring or RV addition, EV infrastructure though growing, is not admirable at the moment outside of suburban areas.
EV is planned, but only when, and if, the ICE has properly kicked in and things running smoothly. I eat elephants one bite at a time.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. There are many of us for which electric will not work. In my work many times I must drive 300 - 400 miles on one job without access to charging.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. There are many of us for which electric will not work. In my work many times I must drive 300 - 400 miles on one job without access to charging.
Yep…. I plan on doing a LOT of touring in mine. Interstates and cities get kind of boring to drive. Backroads and small towns will be the last to get charging stations. PLEASE make mine ICE.

hey…. Glad the temps are down a bit!

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
PLEASE make mine ICE.
Same here... I drove cross country last year, when the gas gauge hit 1/2 tank, I stopped for 2 minutes and filled back up. I had a hard enough time finding a motel to stay in (when I got tired), let alone attempting to find a motel with a charging station.
The Mongrel is going to be my "Bucket List" vehicle for long range travel, there is no way I could enjoy myself worrying about finding a charging station. or a hotel/motel with a charging station for overnight stays.

"Range anxiety" would send me to a therapist when I returned.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Thanks. I was 60 years old when I started following three wheeler concepts 15 years ago. Time is not on my side, but I’m as interested in seeing your prototype build scream around the test track as anybody. My only requirement is full enclosure, delivery (direct sales or dealerships), and local parts and service. I’m an EV fan too, based on instant torque performance and low cost to operate……..perhaps a better for our environment bonus.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same here... I drove cross country last year, when the gas gauge hit 1/2 tank, I stopped for 2 minutes and filled back up. I had a hard enough time finding a motel to stay in (when I got tired), let alone attempting to find a motel with a charging station.
The Mongrel is going to be my "Bucket List" vehicle for long range travel, there is no way I could enjoy myself worrying about finding a charging station. or a hotel/motel with a charging station for overnight stays.

"Range anxiety" would send me to a therapist when I returned.
Yep….. my thoughts exactly.

…. And last I heard, Mark is planning to possibly accommodating a hitch. WooHoo! Can’t wait to hit the road in mine, towing a small bike trailer!

I look forward to the upcoming weeks for new progress reports and pics! Grateful for cooler temps for sure!!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
……..perhaps a better for our environment bonus.

I am not a Greeny by any stretch, I drive EVs for the smooth, quiet, seamless drive and instant torque, no other reason..

Grateful for cooler temps for sure!!

Yup, go to get back up to full speed after so many weeks of doing so little, but will get there fast :-)

Can't wait to annoy you all whining about the "bitter cold" soon ....

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not a Greeny by any stretch, I drive EVs for the smooth, quiet, seamless drive and instant torque, no other reason..

Yup, go to get back up to full speed after so many weeks of doing so little, but will get there fast :-)

Can't wait to annoy you all whining about the "bitter cold" soon ....
Hey! No whining this winter!!! You can always put on MORE clothes.

whining in the summer is understandable, as you can only take off so much clothing!!! There IS a limit to how much you can remove (legally).

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey! No whining this winter!!! You can always put on MORE clothes.
whining in the summer is understandable, as you can only take off so much clothing!!! There IS a limit to how much you can remove (legally).
I used to think this way, but it just doesn't work for me. Lived in Texas for nearly 80 years. I can stand the heat, but "COLD" goes clear to the bone.

120°; no problem. It's uncomfortable but not intolerable. 20° or below; I'm in hibernation!

Top Bottom