• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In an effort to educate myself about passenger seating, I sat in the back seat of my econo-box car. It is a small 4 door sedan. The back seat (behind the driver) was surprisingly comfortable. The view straight ahead was the driver's head rest, but I could easily turn my head slightly and look out the windshield (if I wanted to). The seat bun (where I sat) was about 20 inches wide,

Normal car seats are around 21" wide.

Thing is, have a look where the wheel well arch for your econo-box is, eg; right next to your hip.

It is much harder for a 3wheeler because that wheel well arch has to be behind the frame that's behind the seat that's behind you, the Elio wheelbase is over 110", and that's what I managed as well, and I believe it needs to be less, the less, the more practical it will be, but it's difficult to achieve.

When we go on trips, she usually watches a movie on her phone (with her ear buds in), which is fine with me.

Oh man, I drive to see stuff, love taking buses and trains as I see more because I'm not driving, sod looking at phones.

Just out of curiosity, if you did turn the passenger seat 90 degrees (having it face the side of the car) how many inches would it be from the seat to the side wall of the car?? And would that save you a few more inches in length (of the overall vehicle)??

I have sat 90 degrees on buses and trains often, I hate it it, and I think it's more dangerous in a car accident.

I believe I have the right solution, and I was designing the seating requirements today.

I have ordered seats, but due to the holidays, not sure when they will arrive over the typical 3 days.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In watching your video, are the two seats independent of one another. If the driver needs to move his/her seat forward (short driver) does the passenger also have to move forward??

Yes, seats will move together at all times.

I was even considering making one combined base for the 2 seats, but have a better idea now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I just posted this in the other group:

I want to explain about the doors and roller seats:

A poster said:
"I like the stagger idea in general, but this part I'm not as confident about. It's very common for a passenger to enter/exit while the driver remains seated, think about a parent picking up a child from school. So it needs to be reasonably easy to get in/out with the seats stationary, and that might make the whole roller system redundant".
------

1/ Children will have no problem leaping into the rear seat with driver in position, and slimmer, flexible teens and adults will not have much of a problem climbing into the car with the driver sitting in it.
------

2/ The next level of people a little wider, a little less flexible, will be able to get in and out with only the driver's backrest tilted forward, some even with the driver still seated, but leaning forward with the seat.
------

3/ The ability for both seats to roll forward, is aimed at people not so flexible, not so slim, and those not so able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. With due respect, 30% of the potential cliental is over 60 years of age, 60% over the age of 45, this idea is specifically to cater for a wide range of physical requirements.
------

4/ Note that to roll the seats forward, yes, the driver does need to exit the car, but not to leave the immediate door space. In the Elio, the driver would have to get out, and move clear of the door space for the passenger to enter the car, i.e. the BEX will be an easier process than entering the Elio would have been. Please consider the scenario picking up a child from school in the single door Elio in comparison.
------

5/ There is no 5, what more do you want, my front teeth? Go away now.
------

6/ I said go away!
------

7/ All right, all right, sheez, here ...

1674668489816.png

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
It's now over 2100 posts (wow!), anyone can be excused for not following every post/part of the build, but I assure you that it is mentioned that the reason I have gone to Honda Fit engine is because I couldn't successfully source an automatic otherwise for the previous engine choice.
I must have either missed or forgotten that, but thanks.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like what you’re doing here Mark! I follow you on FB and this is my first login here in quite some time. I have a lot more faith in you than I’ll ever have in P E! Even if I don’t buy a Bex I’ve enjoyed watching your build. I was a believer with the E and visited them 3 or 4 times, but don’t even bother to google them anymore.
Best of luck and thanks for keeping us all updated!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everything is shut up tight this year, more so than normal, I guess due to covid. It's like Xmas day or New Years day when everybody is shut, I expect this will last until next Monday, the 30th.

Lucky I can still fabricate by hand, annoyingly slow as it is, today designed and made the lower control arm front mounts, more complicated than they look.

1674822094321.png

Top Bottom