• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really like the look of your new swingarm assembly .... you've reinforced areas that are bound to be stressed by force generated from the retire bouncing down the road .... do you have any concern about its ability to standup to those forces over time ?

Nope, it's overbuilt.

An old saying about 3 wheelers is that you can't miss every pothole, the rear wheel will see more than it's fair share, and is overbuilt accordingly.

I have just been in 2D CAD trimming as much fat off it as I can, I tend to overbuild parts and reduce weight later rather than vice versa.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... I tend to overbuild parts and reduce weight later rather than vice versa.
My professor used to say, thin it down until it breaks, then make it just a bit thicker. Old school.
Which infers, he had made (has to make) it too thick at the start. He was Canadian BTW.. :cool:

And also infers, the breakage happens at a peak stress test, not just in normal cruising. :doh:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My professor used to say, thin it down until it breaks, then make it just a bit thicker.

1677989427231.png

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So if you put wheels on it, do you have a rolling chassis??
Then all you'll need is to hook up a rear brake and you can take her out for a test drive...

IF I needed to, I could have a "roller" with a day's work, but got other things to attend on it.

It's actually further along than what people may be seeing at the moment.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know it's a little early to think about this.... but here might be a look typical for this interior based on the seating....
A shorter asessories box at the driver's knee/hip, as shown, will not likely block the passenger exit. (Well, not by much.)

1678223411369.png

I noticed that the Yaris hybrid drivetrain is under 40in wide. The 2023 is rated at 30.3kpl, (70mpg). Makes me wonder how it would do in the Mongrel 2.

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know it's a little early to think about this.... but here might be a look typical for this interior based on the seating....
A shorter asessories box at the driver's knee/hip, as shown, will not likely block the passenger exit. (Well, not by much.)

View attachment 26440

I noticed that the Yaris hybrid drivetrain is under 40in wide. The 2023 is rated at 30.3kpl, (70mpg). Makes me wonder how it would do in the Mongrel 2.

Kind of the basic ergonomic layout for sure.

I likely won't be quite to that high standard though, for obvious low volume/low price production reasons of course.

Top Bottom