• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be kind of neat, and might solve some problems, if the entire front section tilted. But I think in order to do it, the entire thing would need to be one piece. Maybe since the nose/bumper is going to be fiberglass anyway, expanding it to include the hood and fenders might be an option.

Correct.

Have to figure it out though, a full nose is heavier than one might think.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps the production model BEX will go the route of Aptera and use a specialized composite body to strengthen &
lighten the vehicle and accelerate the production, delivery, and servicing network timeline. It would be cool if BEX beat them all across the production finish line. :)

1671128052207.jpeg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Correct.

Have to figure it out though, a full nose is heavier than one might think.
for the sake of better traction, I prefer having a decent amount of weight centered over a vehicle's drive tires .... in the case of a BEX, the weight would be over tires that provide traction for both steering and drive

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The minimum I was taught in school (1980's) was 1/6 unobsructed opening compared to the area of the radiator. That's without considering any AC exchangers.

I must say, it does have a very engaging face, bold and intense. Like hell bent on getting somewhere. I like it.
And better than this image.
View attachment 26229
AriLea your the artist of this group. Have any ideas as to how Mark could make a grill insert with perhaps a laser cutter. I was thinking the superman pattern repeated as smaller and smaller shapes. Not sure what pattern would look nicest.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was more referring to the physical task of opening and closing the nose.
understood .... the front pivot hood of our Freightliner Sportchassis is heavy .... to help with it they install struts like you'd find on the rear window of a minivan .... for your Trike, I have no doubt that which ever method you choose will work well

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
so far, your 'Odd Door' concept is the most positive improvement in the basic design .... in our various trips to Elio shows across the country, my wife finally reached the point she was willing to get into the rear seat .... for her it felt claustrophobic and she didn't like not being able to get out quickly .... without question, we would have bought an Elio but for us it would have been a one person vehicle
I was in the red oneband the final... black one also. I would never have ridden in the back seat of an Elio. Mark has it right!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was in the red oneband the final... black one also. I would never have ridden in the back seat of an Elio. Mark has it right!
totally agree .... we got into the creamsicle one twice .... after looking at it the first time I quickly decided I wouldn't get back there and my wife wasn't happy about doing so .... for usted a , an Elio would have been a one person vehicle unless one of the grandkids wanted to go for a ride

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AriLea your the artist of this group. Have any ideas as to how Mark could make a grill insert with perhaps a laser cutter. I was thinking the superman pattern repeated as smaller and smaller shapes. Not sure what pattern would look nicest.
Well, now that you mention it, a 3d print is a likely best step for just the prototype. But a number of fabrication methods are available after that, including just cutting up an original gril. I think, this is actually a fairly low level challenge for Mark, with lots of options.

My opinion about the pattern, with such a small space, the borders will have a bigger influance than the actual grill. But as a guess I would think a honeycome pattern will look better than bars. It is a simple matter in this case to just draw up some examples, and the right one maybe obvious.
Here are some variations. And then deside, Chrome vs all Black, with or without a heavy frame border, thick and few, vs thin and many.

I think, very thin, many, honeycomb shapes, all black, no heavy frame, will look best with the most colors.
1671213794886.png
\
Thick bars makes the grill ordimental and stand out as the primary feature, thinner makes it recede into the face leaving other shapes in the front end to stand out. So the real question is, do you like the current face, and do you wish to modify the overall look with your grill? And how do you wish to match it in the lower wide area? I think again, very thin, many, honeycomb shapes, all black, no heavy frame.

Many cars, currently are doing the same. Also the plain honeycomb will look pretty good if a logo is added to the center.

1671215177975.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom