• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In less than 20 working hours, starting from nothing, I have built this new floor, pillars and firewall chassis, including being slowed by minor mods and stopping to think about things along the way. Very happy about the ease and simplicity of construction.

From nothing meaning, leaving the shop with only my USB, buying steel, taking it to the laser shop, cutting the parts, then to the fold shop, back again and assembling and welding.

One of the most obvious changes is the size of the main engine rails, arrowed and compared to the last one. Main reason is the last one is a purchased rectangle tube, and there is too much variation in them, but also the new one is clearly larger, being double the height at the root, but also it's a laser'd and folded sheet now for consistent accuracy.

And no, it's not a pickup :-)

main rail.jpg

Next picture is of the sides cut into 2 pieces, I knew i had to, but still grimaced taking a grinder to a brand new panel!

cut up.jpg

And last picture is the "Secret Squirrel" modifications I am making, the yellow arrow clearly pointing out the changes ..

mods.jpg

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In less than 20 working hours, starting from nothing, I have built this new floor, pillars and firewall chassis, including being slowed by minor mods and stopping to think about things along the way. Very happy about the ease and simplicity of construction.
From nothing meaning, leaving the shop with only my USB, buying steel, taking it to the laser shop, cutting the parts, then to the fold shop, back again and assembling and welding.
One of the most obvious changes is the size of the main engine rails, arrowed and compared to the last one. Main reason is the last one is a purchased rectangle tube, and there is too much variation in them, but also the new one is clearly larger, being double the height at the root, but also it's a laser'd and folded sheet now for consistent accuracy.
And no, it's not a pickup :-)
View attachment 26313
Next picture is of the sides cut into 2 pieces, I knew i had to, but still grimaced taking a grinder to a brand new panel!
View attachment 26312
And last picture is the "Secret Squirrel" modifications I am making, the yellow arrow clearly pointing out the changes ..
View attachment 26314

I really like the new "Secret Squirrel" mod!
Keep up the good work.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got the dates for Chine New Year wrong, somehow I got last years date.

Pain in the posterior, everything was closed today, just managed to get a pack of 4" cutting discs at a power tools shop today as they were closing.

On the lighter side of things, Can I assume that you speak fluent Mandarin or Cantonese having lived their for so long? Chinese language must be one of the hardest to learn (maybe next to Japanese) let alone write (or paint? :confused2:) it!

Top Bottom