• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The seat looks good, but very custom. Will there be an off the self seat available with those specs for the production model BEX to maximize production efficiency? Curious only because my Beta test drive FUV had a very ergo supportive comfortable seat, (oddly, so comfortable my wife wanted to take one home), but the FUV production model has an Arcimoto parts partner supplier seat manufactured by Corbin Motors, nice but not as comfortable.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the look and your comfort mods sound spot on .... do you foresee a flip down arm rest ?

Not sure. The seat maker has 3 types, 2 armrests, 1 armrest and none (which i have)

I will wait and see what i can do in the way of arm comfort before deciding if I need his armrests or not.

These aren't his seats, but close enough to his to explain the armrests.

1675624283742.png

I hope at least on the right where the center storage is common in cars & used as an arm rest, but in this vehicle it's open space for the passenger's legs and cargo.

All under control.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well besides working on the seat platforms and runner design, while waiting for the 2nd seat to arrive (because I am satisfied with the sample), I came across another issue, I am unhappy with the amount of, or rather lack of steering lock.

This is because I angled the lower control arms forward a few degrees for a number of clearance reasons, and now the tyre hits the control arm.

So I am currently also figuring this out, and today ordered 2 different wheels with different ETs, and rim width to test.

"ET" isn't that creature from outer space, but is the distance from the center of the wheel rim to the mounting flange surface. ET0 (zero) would mean the flange is in the middle of the wheel (trailer wheels sometimes), and you have (in millimeters), ET25, ET35, ET43 and ET60 are the most common, with ET43 (41mm to 45mm) being likely 80% of all cars on the road today. ET25 means the wheel sticks outwards 18mm further than an ET43 would.

1675709821698.png

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well besides working on the seat platforms and runner design, while waiting for the 2nd seat to arrive (because I am satisfied with the sample), I came across another issue, I am unhappy with the amount of, or rather lack of steering lock.

This is because I angled the lower control arms forward a few degrees for a number of clearance reasons, and now the tyre hits the control arm.

So I am currently also figuring this out, and today ordered 2 different wheels with different ETs, and rim width to test.

"ET" isn't that creature from outer space, but is the distance from the center of the wheel rim to the mounting flange surface. ET0 (zero) would mean the flange is in the middle of the wheel (trailer wheels sometimes), and you have (in millimeters), ET25, ET35, ET43 and ET60 are the most common, with ET43 (41mm to 45mm) being likely 80% of all cars on the road today. ET25 means the wheel sticks outwards 18mm further than an ET43 would.

View attachment 26386
I'm with you, well at least I was right up to "ET" .... from that point on things quickly rose way above my pay grade .... if you are happy with it, that's all I need to know :noidea:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Major surgery today, got the plasma cutter and blasted out 3 large holes each side, this to facilitate moving the lower control arm rear pivot further in, towards the center of the car. This does require a 'bump' in the chassis to get some clearance for the lower control arm rear pivot (arrow), but that's nothing.

Great thing about steel, you can cut it out, modify it, grind it clean, and simply weld over it again.

Moving the rear pivot now means I can get 37 degrees of steering lock on the inside (lead) wheel, which is better than 36 degrees, but not as good as 38 degrees., but a lot better than 35 degrees, but still almost 2 degrees from 39 degrees. It is however, a massive 20 degrees better than 17 degrees, so it's a win.

1675855643449.png

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Moving the rear pivot now means I can get 37 degrees of steering lock on the inside (lead) wheel, which is better than 36 degrees, but not as good as 38 degrees., but a lot better than 35 degrees, but still almost 2 degrees from 39 degrees. It is however, a massive 20 degrees better than 17 degrees, so it's a win.

Thanks for the simplification!

Top Bottom