• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But if the passenger wants out, the driver has to get out first?

That depends on the passenger.

- Kids, teens, slender people should be able to hop in and out.

- Next size up may require the driver to tilt their seat forward, as well as bending forward with the seat while still seated.

- Next level may only need the driver rolling the seats forward and squashing themselves up against the steering wheel.

- Larger people and those with less physical abilities will require the driver out, and seats rolled forward.

PLEASE NOTE:

This vehicle is inspired by, and based on being an Elio alternate, the Elio has a single door that requires the driver to get out, step away from the vehicle to make clearance for the passenger to enter or exit.

With the BEX setup, if the driver is required to exit the vehicle, the driver can remain in the doorway without needing to step away from the vehicle, as required with the Elio, because the passenger is entering/exiting from the right door.

This is safer for everyone concerned, especially for kids entering on the right side, or curb side door, and not the traffic side.

So if one was willing to accept the Elio with just one door and needing to maneuver into a tight, confined, rear tandem seat, I can't see how one could argue against the clearly improved convenience of the BEX setup.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, I will definitely locate a control lever for the seat roller system, and it will be inside the car, not outside, nor will it be a phone app, don't have any doubt about that.
well that narrows it down considerably... :pound:... historically its just under the front of the seat and I was wondering if there would be an advantage of it being on the right side of the driver's seat where it could also be operated by the passenger

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Probably by pulling on the lever next to the seat. KISS

It's going to need a little magic and/or some creativity for that considering the entire seat platform slides forward and back. It needs to be mounted on a stationary piece. I'm sure it's been considered and there's something I'm not seeing immediately. I have seen them mounted on the door side of the seat on rare occasions, but it makes it a little more difficult to exit the vehicle with the brake set.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's going to need a little magic and/or some creativity for that considering the entire seat platform slides forward and back. It needs to be mounted on a stationary piece. I'm sure it's been considered and there's something I'm not seeing immediately. I have seen them mounted on the door side of the seat on rare occasions, but it makes it a little more difficult to exit the vehicle with the brake set.
My Pontiac Fiero had it on the door side of the seat. It ratcheted down to the floor to give ample entry and exit space.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Pontiac Fiero had it on the door side of the seat. It ratcheted down to the floor to give ample entry and exit space.
Fiero! I knew I had a car where it was door side, but I could not remember which one. If I remember correctly, it was pretty low in the car and was a short throw and didn't come up much higher than the seat.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How will you handle the e-brake?
I imagine Mark could go "old school" and add another pedal. He did say he made the Mongrel wider, so there may be room for an extra pedal for the emergency brake.
My work truck has a 4th pedal next to the clutch for the emergency brake. It is quite a bit smaller than the other pedals, but does the job.

Top Bottom