• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Things are fitting into place, may look a mess to your eyes, but I see future goodness, with ducks lining up.

Good news: I can almost promise that the pax seat will be able to be reclined back, something Elio could not offer, and that there might be a decent sized rear parcel shelf behind the pax seat now that the suspension is out of the way.

I wasn't keen on a rear parcel shelf before, due to raising and moving the center of gravity rearwards, but this one will be quite low, and further forward than before.

1677416046113.png

I will keep boring you with stability comments, because it's very important with a 3 wheeler, and it's important to me that I know I have done my best to offer you a 'safe as I can' vehicle.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got the rear stanchions done today, important as they protect the passenger, the fuel tank, and support the rear suspension swingarm.

I am using box tube for the job, and have been annoyed that no one in my town bends square tubing, so the other day I made my own bending die to do it myself, works ok on the heavier tube, quite satisfied.

Trick was to make it in pieces, put the tube in, and clamp it down hard with the 3 bolts to stop the tube spreading while bending it.

1677501214111.png

1677501225093.png

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In other news, I keep forgetting to mention yet another advantage to the staggered seat, and that is the passenger is move further forward into an area where the roof is higher, i.e. more headroom.

Just a technical note: The 5 tube bends of the 7 in the picture, red arrows, are all the same degree bend, just a little time saver there, and more KISS.

1677691063546.png

Very happy I found a simple way to use a bush for the swingarm pivots I have been wanting to use, no machining or welding required, and it's the front lower control arm bush from 80s and 90s 85 series Toyota HiLux, found all over the world and plenty in stock everywhere.

It's a great bush for the application, as it's double the width of a typical bush, and very importantly has an 18mm bore for a very strong pivot bolt, rather than a more typical 14mm hole.

1677691090251.png

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will moving the passenger forward allow for additional trunk storage? Does this make the vehicle shorter or will it remain the same length?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mostly explained here, and looks like there will be a decent rear parcel shelf as well.

Ya know, having a full tablet display on the dash is very popular right now, larger google maps etc. My 2020 Corolla has one standard. And now there is a purfect space for that on the right of your dash. Elio's was very crowded in the right side area of thiers.

Should anyone want a professional display for commercial reasons, well, this is purfect.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
larger google maps
Who needs google maps, when you got a ROAD ATLAS!! Although it is well worn, it still does the job.
Road_Atlas.JPG

Since the dash was brought up, I am curious about the instrument cluster and which gauges will be in place. I assume the mongrel will have a speedometer, a tachometer, fuel gauge and water temp. Will you also include oil pressure or amp gauge??

And please tell me you are not planning on using that Elgin gauge cluster that Paul Elio was thinking about using.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who needs google maps, when you got a ROAD ATLAS!! Although it is well worn, it still does the job.
View attachment 26428

Since the dash was brought up, I am curious about the instrument cluster and which gauges will be in place. I assume the mongrel will have a speedometer, a tachometer, fuel gauge and water temp. Will you also include oil pressure or amp gauge??

And please tell me you are not planning on using that Elgin gauge cluster that Paul Elio was thinking about using.
You can even buy new a 2023 version of that Atlas. I have one I keep in the RV. Roads do change.

As for dashes, when I helped my friend do his Cobra Kit car, we used an AIM dash. Since the engine had a CAN-BUS (Ford Coyote) that was super easy. Then I just set up the rest of it with a few other sensors. Multiple screens and alarms. We even put in a backup camera that shows up on the screen when you stick it in reverse. They ain't cheap but it's amazing what you can do with it. https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/products/mxs-1.2-1.3-strada/index.htm

Top Bottom