• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's the foundation of the question?
Just thinking about ease of replacement... On my GM truck and Pontiac Sunfire replacement of the catalytic converter was a "bolt on" application (both ends). It was both quick and easy!

On my girlfriend's Dodge one end was bolt on and the other end was not. I had to cut the exhaust pipe and scab in an adapter. I guess I could have replaced the back portion of the exhaust system with new and saved myself some work, but there wasn't anything wrong with it.

I have also seen some designs where the catalytic converter is part of the exhaust manifold. Personally, I've never had to work on one of those, but I imagine its a huge pain.

I tend to keep vehicles for a long time and try to reach the 250K mile mark, thus parts wear out.

Some people have nightmares about monsters and demons... I have nightmares about P0420 codes.

Since you stated you will be using a 1.5L Honda Fit engine, I am assuming it will have an OBD2 port and the dreaded "Check Engine Light".

Presently, motorcycles do NOT have to go through emissions testing (every two years) in my state, like cars. They did at one point, but they dropped that requirement. I'm hoping that the BEX Mongrel will fall into the motorcycle category and be exempt, but who knows. Moreover, it is always possible that the state government could reinstate an emissions test requirement for motorcycles.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just thinking about ease of replacement... On my GM truck and Pontiac Sunfire replacement of the catalytic converter was a "bolt on" application (both ends). It was both quick and easy!

On my girlfriend's Dodge one end was bolt on and the other end was not. I had to cut the exhaust pipe and scab in an adapter. I guess I could have replaced the back portion of the exhaust system with new and saved myself some work, but there wasn't anything wrong with it.

I have also seen some designs where the catalytic converter is part of the exhaust manifold. Personally, I've never had to work on one of those, but I imagine its a huge pain.

I tend to keep vehicles for a long time and try to reach the 250K mile mark, thus parts wear out.

Some people have nightmares about monsters and demons... I have nightmares about P0420 codes.

Since you stated you will be using a 1.5L Honda Fit engine, I am assuming it will have an OBD2 port and the dreaded "Check Engine Light".

Presently, motorcycles do NOT have to go through emissions testing (every two years) in my state, like cars. They did at one point, but they dropped that requirement. I'm hoping that the BEX Mongrel will fall into the motorcycle category and be exempt, but who knows. Moreover, it is always possible that the state government could reinstate an emissions test requirement for motorcycles.
I absolutely hate the unknown that's why I have my handy OBD2 code reader- save me a lot of money already and it actually taught me how to fix car issues. Anything I'm not familiar with after getting the code, YouTuBe is my friend that teaches me how to DIY.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The floor pattern is coming along.

Today, designed, laser'd, folded and tack welded in the seat runner foundations, and the fuel tank mounts, as well as extending the exhaust tunnel.

1681124780345.png

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Florida there isn't any need for a catalytic converter since no one checks emission. I personally do not want one on any of my motorcycles.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon Florida
My guess is that if the motor in its original application had one, then it has to be on there when it gets transplanted into a BEX.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Florida there isn't any need for a catalytic converter since no one checks emission. I personally do not want one on any of my motorcycles.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon Florida
Where you are at, cut off the one on your car too and make a few bucks. If you are going to sell a vehicle, it's better to have one on as many places on the planet do emissions and even do visual checks. So selling a BEX without a CAT, would be a bad idea, as then it can limit the sales area and create many other issues. In my mind, I do not see why someone wouldn't want to have a CAT on their motorcycle, autocycle or automobile. They are not new tech and have proven to become reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Plus, there was the consensus that a CAT would kill performance. I guess we proved that wrong.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
are there any other components in your trike that you anticipate being made of fiberglass that you will need to build a patter for ?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
are there any other components in your trike that you anticipate being made of fiberglass that you will need to build a patter for ?

Outer and inner bodyshell, already have the basic patterns of course for the outer skins, being the Hyundai Accent panels that you have seen many times here, the nose, some other bits.

The outer panels are ideal for patterns, as are any stamped steel car parts, as any indents have to be tapered for the parts to fall off the dies, just as a fiberglass pattern has to have tapered indents for the parts to be released (pulled from the molds) with relative ease.

Next time you open your car door, have a look at the opening to see it's all tapered inwards.

Top Bottom